Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spring deer hunting?

Old 05-03-2004, 04:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Spring deer hunting?

Multi-million dollar horses, and they can't afford to put up some high fences to keep the deer out?
Good question.

I myself couldn't do it. I would get no satisfaction in sniping off deer with a rifle. I am not tring to discourage you from doing it. If you can handle the task go for it. You just need to ask your self is a new hunting spot worth it. Only you can answer that.

As has been stated those deer will wise up fast to being hunted and will be alot harder to come by come this fall. Maybe you won't even have to shoot to many with the added human pressure. What ever you choose, good luck.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:15 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: mammasboy

Multi-million dollar horses, and they can't afford to put up some high fences to keep the deer out?
How high of a fence would you suggest? Would you put barb wire on top? Would you feel guilty about the one stuck on top?

Someone needs to rein in the deer population in a lot of places. It might as well be bow hunters. The alternative is snipers at night.

Have fun ml. Leave the nice bucks for fall time.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:43 PM

"How high of a fence would you suggest? Would you put barb wire on top? Would you feel guilty about the one stuck on top?"

OF course you wouldnt put barb wire on top, they are deer, not convicted killers.

An 8 foot high fence would work perfect. I know alot of the ranches down here have airstrips on the ranch and they are always surrounded by a high fence. One of my friends owns quarter horses and has a high fence around his race track.

You could also dig a trench around the perimeter of the property and set the high fence down in it about a 1-2 foot, which will help keep animals from digging under it.

Down here high fences cost between $8,000-$10,000 per mile, but that is a very small investment to pay if it is going to save a multimillion $$ horses life, or the life of the jockey.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:34 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: TXhighrack

An 8 foot high fence would work perfect. I know alot of the ranches down here have airstrips on the ranch and they are always surrounded by a high fence. One of my friends owns quarter horses and has a high fence around his race track.

Sorry a deer can jump 8 foot fences and it's much cheaper and ethical to shoot them and thin the herds.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:22 AM
Typical Buck

High fences are not an option. In the words of the owner, (with a british accent) "That would be a bit of an eyesore, wouldn't it?"...
Already went down that road with the man.

There would be no sniping in the morning, only bowhunting as the "BANG" of a gun would be as bad as the deer jumping out...might scare the horses.

If we bowhunt only, play the wind, use good scent control, etc.; I am hoping not to get the deer too skittish by fall. I guess we'll see.

I may need some help with this one![&o]
Old 05-04-2004, 07:16 AM

Mark:

Call the "DEERBUSTERS"! That would be Will, Davidmil, Sean (my son) and ME.

Really, it's a problem all over Maryland and most wouldn't believe it unless they saw it first-hand. If you care to call me, I could give you a lot of suggestions. After all, the "DEERBUSTERS" have been doing this for years.

And, you're absolutely right when you stated that the owner would find someone else to do the job. Been there and witnessed that.[:@]

One thing you should do is get a long list of people who want deer meat. FHFH doesn't have the funds to support a lot of donations this time of year. My list is 2 pages long. When I get a deer, I call until I find someone who can take/process the deer immediately. With the list being long, it assures that I'll move the meat quickly. During the summer months you can't hesitate too much in this regard.

It's NOT an easy job in many respects.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:59 AM
Typical Buck

Hey Len, what was it like when you hit that first pregnant one?
I can gather that it hasn't stopped you. What do you do with the fawn? Part of the gut pile ar something else.
I want to be respectful as possible...someday I too will be judged...you know , all Gods creatures and all that...
Old 05-04-2004, 08:43 AM
Dominant Buck

I can tell you first hand that unborn fawns look great when stuffed and mounted.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:53 AM
Typical Buck

I can tell you first hand that unborn fawns look great when stuffed and mounted.
[]
Old 05-04-2004, 11:09 AM
Fork Horn

As tough as it may be, I don't think that you can be selective in your harvest. If the owner sees you letting deer walk on a daily basis, you will be out of there. Tough job, but somebody has to do it.

Quick Reply: Spring deer hunting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.