Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spring deer hunting?

Old 05-03-2004, 09:17 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Spring deer hunting?

3 step, we will definitely be donating venison to the "Hunters for Hunger" program. If we didn't I would need a commercial walk-in freezer to store all the meat.
Besides, I just like the idea of helping out folks that need it.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Are we assuming that all does at this time of year are pregnant? If not then there still should be many deer that you can shoot and still not have an issue with it from a moral and ethical perspective.

Just shoot the button bucks....
Old 05-03-2004, 10:26 AM
Typical Buck

No, PA, I do not assume that all the does are pregnant, but as you know size is not necessarly the determining factor.
I would try to make an effort to kill the small deer first so as to avoid the possibility of killing pregnant does, but that does not guarentee that a small doe can't be pregnant.
I guess I'll just start the shooting and deal with the outcome later[]
Old 05-03-2004, 11:13 AM

Get ahold of the Farmers And Hunters Feeding the Hungry organization in our state (MD.) They will take the deer from you and process it. You on the other hand must make the decision that this is a job. When hunting season comes in a few months the deer in the farm will be so skitterish that you will have to hunt them to take more. Been there - done that, had the same problem when I lived on a state farm in PA near the Brandywine. Culled the herd but lost the hunting capability as they went nocternal, moved their routes, feed locations, everything they could to fool me. Let me know if you need help, I'm just down the road.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Just shoot the darn deer. You are in a very over populated area. They are pest and getting no better. You can donate the meat or keep it for your self.

As far a pregnant Does, have you ever seen an unborn fawn stuffed? I have and it looks great in anyones collection. Besides they may fit on the grill better.

Good luck! If you need help I would be glad to take some free shots when I have the time.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another, maybe stupid idea, is to find someone like a friend that wouldn't mind as much. Take them and let them do it. Then the owner still gets dead deer, and you don't lose your spot. just a thought. good luck
Old 05-03-2004, 01:57 PM
Typical Buck

Multi-million dollar horses, and they can't afford to put up some high fences to keep the deer out?
Old 05-03-2004, 04:27 PM

man i don't know about this one. last week i was leaving my driveway when i noticed that a doe got hit by my mailbox. as i pulled out i noticed that she was ripped open and there was a unborn fawn with spots laying next to her ...ruined my whole week.

i don't know about you but think that if i was in your situation i would be racking up the kills on possums, coons, gophers and groundhawgs for a month or so until i started seeing does and new borns ...that way i'd know which of the does had fawns and which didn't, then i'd start harvesting some deer.
Old 05-03-2004, 04:29 PM

MAMMASBOY HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD. WHY CAN'T THEY JUST PUT UP HIGH FENCES.

IF I WAS YOU I WOULD LOVE TO THIN OUT THE HERD JUST TO GET THE CHANCE OF HUNTING THAT PROPERTY. THINK OF IT LIKE THIS. WHAT YOU'RE GETTING THE OPORTUNITY TO DO IS THE EXACT SAME THING THAT HAPPENS ON HUGE QDM MANAGEMENT RANCHES. THEY HAVE TO THIN OUT THE CULL BUCKS AND THE DOES SO THEY CAN GUARANTEE A TROPHY BUCK OPORTUNITY FOR THEIR CUSTOMERS. I DEFINATELY FEEL YOUR PAIN ABOUT SHOOTING THE PREGNANT DOES IT KINDA PUTS A THORN IN YOUR SIDE. WHEN IT IS ALL SAID AND DONE YOU WILL BE HUNTING A PROPERTY WITH A GREAT BUCK TO DOE RATIO. AFTER YOU START TAKING A LOT OF THE DEER SOON THEY WON'T BE COMING OUT AND SHOWING THEMSELVES ON THE HORSES PRACTICE TRACK ANYMORE. THEN WALLA YOU REALLY WON'T HAVE TO TAKE THAT MANY DEER ANYMORE CAUSE IT WILL LOOK AS THOUGH THE DEER HAVE MOVED ON CAUSE THEY'LL BE MORE NOCTURNAL.

THIS IS DEFINATELY A HARD CHOICE FOR YOU TO MAKE. AND IN YOUR HEART IT MAY BE A HARD CHOICE TO LIVE WITH. BUT JUST REMEMBER YOU WILL BE DOING A GREAT THING BECAUSE YOU WILL ONLY BE MAKING THE HERD STRONGER.
Old 05-03-2004, 04:30 PM

mlaubner, I wish that I were in your shoes. I could do the job, because that’s all it is (a job). And then you’re going to have a great place to hunt.

Quick Reply: Spring deer hunting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.