Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why do you shoot YOUR choice of bows ?

Old 04-27-2004, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Why do you shoot YOUR choice of bows ?

Seriously - why do you shoot your make/model of bows ? If you would, list what bow you shoot and why.

I shoot a 3 piece Adcock TD longbow. Why ? Its a huge challenge - #1 reason. Focusing, drawing the bow, focusing, releasing and watching the arrow hit where i was looking .... magical guys, just magical ! Its a bow thats smoother and easier to shoot than most others I have shot (for me). I shoot carbon arrows and Thunderheads for hunting, although this year I might go to woods if I can make a set up thats good enough. My effective range is out to 20 yards or so.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:15 AM

Default RE: Why do you shoot YOUR choice of bows ?

I choose to hunt with a compound bow, 2003 Hoyt Protec

Why? Its a greater challenge than rifle hunting. I enjoy the art of fooling whitetails at close range.

My effective range is somewhere between 25-30yds, depending on my practice routine. I haven't loosed a shot past 20yds in over 3 years.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I recently decided to give up compounds completely because of a bum shoulder. So...

I've got two main bows, depending on my mood on a given day. A homemade 55 pound reflex/deflex longbow (try taking game with a bow you've crafted with your own hands if you really want to discover what satisfaction feels like). And a 50 pound Chek-Mate Kings Pawn recurve.

Both are much lighter in physical weight than my ProTec (which is my shoulder's main complaint) and not much lighter in draw weight. I never, ever really got comfortable hunting with a compound anyway. For me, compounds lack the magic.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:42 AM

I shoot a Bowtech Patriot because it costs a sh[:-]t load of money and looks cool.

My max yardage is 40 yds. I can do this because effective hunting groups out to 40 are fairly easy with a compound.

I have heard people say I should increase the challenge of my passion by changing my weapon to a more primitive challenging weapon.

But I did them one better – I kept the weapon the same – I changed what I hunt.

Can I say crossbow in this thread........[8D]
Old 04-27-2004, 08:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

i shoot a martin altitude cause I want to, I like bowhunting, I like short bows, I like compounds, I like my bow cause it shoots good and was fairly inexpensive compared to other bows out there.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:57 AM

I shoot a Bowtech Patriot because it costs a sh t load of money and looks cool.
......as ArthurP's already dated blood begins to boil....... and stealthy thinks to himself, "it really is a cool looking bow".......

Old 04-27-2004, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

I shoot a Martin Cougar Magnum 2000 because I like it, have yet to find a newer bow that I like better, and don't want to spend $700 for a bow even if I did like it.[8D]

Focusing, drawing the bow, focusing, releasing and watching the arrow hit where i was aiming .... magical guys, just magical!
Same here with my compound

No weapon huntingwise compares to bowhunting, whether it be compound or traditional equipment. I'd hunt with traditional if the compound bow had not been invented.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:03 AM
Typical Buck

Bowtech Patriot

1. Customer Service
2. Speed
3. Accuracy
4. Looks
Old 04-27-2004, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a Bowtech VFT EXTREME SAMSON 80, because I wanted enough kinetic energy to blow through a pine tree if needed!

Shed
Old 04-27-2004, 09:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

If I was as flamboyant as Rack I would post something along the lines of....

"Because it requires the least of amount of practice to be proficient with and because its high speed levels allow me to not worry about judging distance....."

Just to fire up Arthur.

Seriously, I am currently shooting a Bowtech Liberty and a Bowtech Mighty Mite VFT. Why?

- because I feel both are built with an extreme attention to detail both in terms of design and manufacturing.

- because their designs are cutting edge

- because the bows feel good in my hands both before and during the shot.

- the usual low noise, low recoil, high level of accuracy, good speed explanations that typically accompany any comments directed toward any individual's bow.

Quick Reply: Why do you shoot YOUR choice of bows ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.