Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why do you shoot YOUR choice of bows ?

Old 04-27-2004, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why do you shoot YOUR choice of bows ?

Razortec, because it's quiet, quick, and solid. And because I'm smart enough to know that it's not how much your bow costs or how cool it looks but how you shoot it.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a Bowtech Patriot because you get a cool looking hat when you buy one

Seriously though,

- because the bows feel good in my hands both before and during the shot.

- the usual low noise, low recoil, high level of accuracy, good speed explanations that typically accompany any comments directed toward any individual's bow.
1. Customer Service
Old 04-27-2004, 12:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

No, ARROW WEIGHT and MOMENTUM is what helps with penetration. GRRRR!!! [>:]

Might as well reprise that stupid battle to go along with R-a's trad vs compound lunacy.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot a Bowtech Patriot Dually and Black Knight.

Why?

Because every year I go and shoot a bunch of bows from different makers and so far the Bowtechs fit my shooting style and fit me better than other current bows on the market.

How many times have we seen on this forum and others asking "which bow" and the answer is always go shoot a bunch and buy the one that fits you the best?
Old 04-27-2004, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

A faster arrow of the same weight has more momentum therefore more penetration. Speed helps penetration as long as other things aren't sacrificed.

OK as to why I shoot the bow I do....well I currently do not even have a bow, I sold my old one which was a PSE Nova, and the reason I bought it was that i felt it was the best buy for what I could afford at the time.

When I purchase my new bow, the criteria I will use are quietness, forgiveness, the way it feels in my hand, and can't help it, but looks too. Price is also a factor, I'm on a mid range budget.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

look below
actually haven't even gotten it yet - this weekend (finally!)

why - reputation, cost, similar size/look of my old bow, .........and because I know a $250 bow will kill a deer just as dead as a $1000 bow

my range - 20 yards - I practice out to 30 yds. (and will do so more with the new bow) and if I am confident at that distance I will shoot
Old 04-27-2004, 03:19 PM
Typical Buck

Being honest, I shoot my choice of bow because all I had previously was an old pearson renegade. I, for years saw all of the advertisements, and alot of the archers on t.v., shooting mathews. So i decided to buy one. I love it! I also have to admit that I have never picked any other bow up for comparison, so I can't say that mathews is superior. But for me, I can't say that I made the wrong decision. I shoot a Q2.
Old 04-27-2004, 03:51 PM

I prefer modern equipment over trad because I just don't get the same fell from trad bows as I get from compounds. Practice is not a factor with me so trad shooting wouldn't be harder cause I shoot 12 months a year ant how. A friend of mine who shoots a recurve says he likes the arch of the arrow. I like the flat shooting and zip of a compound.

My bows of choice are two. Hunting: Darton Mav. Rather light in wt. with a narrow grip and a smooth draw cycle in there c/p/s cam. The limbs are solid with a recurve shape with good stored energy that makes it shoot with good speed and still maintains great accuracy. Quite at release with a 430 gr. arrow @ 60 lbs. with a little more vibration then I'm use to for hunting. still a great bow.

My target bow is a Merlin Max 3000 w/Omega cams. Merlins version of the C/P/S cam. This is my favorate shooting bow. It's the best bow as far as torerences I've ever shot. Limb pockets are tight as well as movement in the cams. A very well made bow. It fits my shooting sytle perfectly. It has a 3% off set in the slim grip. Solid recure shape carbon limbs. The Omega cam is smoother then the Darton with no noticable drop off and a solid wall. It is sweeter then any bow I've shot as far as ease to shoot, accuracy and hand shock @ release. I shoot IBO legal arrow wt. @ 5 gr. per for target and the Merlin Max has no hand shock at all. My scores at 3-D have increased every shoot this year and I attribute that to some degree to the shootablity of this bow. Jerry
Old 04-27-2004, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer modern equipment over trad because I just don't get the same fell from trad bows as I get from compounds. Practice is not a factor with me so trad shooting wouldn't be harder cause I shoot 12 months a year ant how. A friend of mine who shoots a recurve says he likes the arch of the arrow. I like the flat shooting and zip of a compound.
Finally got an answer close to what your looking for stealthy!

I'll put the icing on the cake for you.

I shoot a Mathews Icon @ 61lbs. I purchased it because it shot best and felt best for me. I could care less what they look like.
Why did I choose a compound over a traditional bow you may be wondering? No beating around the bush! Lack of time! I just haven't had the time to practice with trad gear like I did before the wife and children came along. These days I'll get to shoot on the weekends if I'm lucky enough to be able to sneak away for a few hours.
I'm not a "natural" so when I was shooting my recurve I had to stick with it by shooting a minimum of 5 times a week.

As of lately I've been considering switching back to a recurve for medical reasons (shoulder) and making time for practice. Unfortunately I'm faced with another conundrum. I have a 66" Bear Tar Tar that I've always shot extremely well , but dont feel confident enough to hunt with because it's only a 30lb bow. Although it's legal in Wi , I wouldn't use it. Years back I purchased a 58" Bear Grizzly 55lb strictly for hunting and I cant shoot it worth a darn. I've found nowhere around here where I can go shoot a quality recurve before buying it. I'd be lucky to find a place that even has one on the shelf.
Anyone have any suggestions? From my experiences I need at least a 62" bow but would prefer a 66".
Old 04-28-2004, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

BOWFANATIC - This aint a thread to bash people, sorry buddy, I aint going there.

I know that when I shot a compound I traveled 100% of the time and my bow went with me. I shot probably 5-6 days a week. There was NO lack of time and I really did enjoy it. Seems I was always tinkering with something. But the changes in technology from 1990-1998/99 was just huge. Everything changed - the only thing that didn't was the bow still had a string

It got to the point I could shoot once every three months and put 6 arrows into a 4" circle at 30 yards .... or practice all the time and not be much better ! I lost my intrest in shooting my bow, it wasn't fun anymore .... and I think challenge was the reason.

Quick Reply: Why do you shoot YOUR choice of bows ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.