Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Yellowstone

Old 04-28-2004, 06:07 AM

Default RE: Yellowstone

I think the same thing applies here in South Africa. Animals roaming our National Parks, also grow much bigger than an animal on a game farm where hunting is permitted. I also think that it is much easier to get closer to an animal in a National Park, as they are used to cars and people. I would also feel bad shooting a Kudu Bull at 8 yards through my truck's window!!! I presume that this is what Nic Barca is talking about. Nevertheless, lets not forget the beauty of our National Parks. Most of the people go to a National Park to see animals - and for a city slicker, to see an animal at 10 yards, that's what they are there for.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:27 PM

I am pretty lucky, my in-laws own a cabin outside the west entrance. So we go every other year. Gives me a great chance to practice my elk calling! Last year I shot some great photos of some HUGE bulls that came into my cow calls. Now if only I could replace my Nikon for my Mathews!!!!!!
Old 04-28-2004, 10:50 PM

Mathewsarcher, do you think a Mathews will bring down an Elk? I'm just joking. As far as I know, Yellowstone is in CA - am I correct. I have done a bit of touring in the USA (CA, Nevada, NC, SC, Georga, DC) but I am so sad that I did not take the time to go to Yellowstone.Do you think your in-laws will let a South African stay with them for a few days
Old 04-29-2004, 01:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

yellostone park is in three states 96% of it is in Wyoming 3% is in montana and 1% is in my home state of idaho. It is beautiful but on the other hand there is beautiful country in all the western elk country states. I love certian parts of colorado, utah, wyoming, montana, oregon. my favorite place in idaho is the Salmon river-Frank Church wilderness all of these area's can hold there own against yellowstone park. I am not trying to presude people to not visit the park. my point is if you are comming to the area to visit yellowstone take some time and visit these other area's where their won't be hunderds of tourist. Plus you if you see a lot game and you can come back in the furture and hunt if you want.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:32 PM

Yellowstone Park is a unique and interesting place. With my job I get to see it a way that not many other people get to. I am a flight nurse out of Billings, MT and we fly in to get people out of the Park when they are hurt or sick. The one thing to remember is that althought the animals seem tame, they are still wild. That is what gives us some business each summer. bear attacks, buffalo gorings and such. Sept. is a great time to go just to hear the elk bugeling. Hope you get there and hope I don't have to see you in my line of work. lol
Old 04-29-2004, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sept. is a great time to go just to hear the elk bugeling. Hope you get there and hope I don't have to see you in my line of work
Me too! I am looking forward to hearing those elk bugle.