Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why a Recurve or Compound?

Old 04-24-2004, 08:23 PM

Default Why a Recurve or Compound?

First hi to all that read this I am new to this forum! I have shot stick and string mostly for fun my whole life from making my own rubber band bows and sticks for arrows as long as I can remember. Here's my question why is it that every time I go to a 3D shoot or my archery club we have to gig the other person in there choice of shooting styles. Me I like to shoot all style of archer from long bow to recurve to compound with or with out sights or a release. I am totally impressed when I see someone shoot both style and hit there mark everytime or just outside of it! Is long bow or recurve harder then a compound no there not as long as you practice. Practice to me is the key to archery it doesn't matter what type of bow you use as long as you practice with that bow. As far as style of bow as long as you practice you can hint the target or take down what every you are hunting. My point is let focus on the fact we all love to shoot stick and string and before we comment on something lets first try and shoot each style.

NOT ONE STYLE IS BETTER THEN THE OTHER JUST THE PERSON WHO IS SHOOTING!!!
Old 04-24-2004, 08:31 PM

Default RE: Why a Recurve or Compound?

I AGREE TOY, I THINK WE ARE LOSING SIGHT OF WHAT WE LOVE TO DO WHICH IS SHOOTING A BOW. REGARDLESS OF WHAT STYLE. THANKS FOR THE POST
Old 04-24-2004, 09:06 PM

I agree. There is only one type of bow. Stick and string. Let the fighting end.
Old 04-24-2004, 09:53 PM
Typical Buck

Are you an angel? Sent down with a mission to tame this board?
Old 04-24-2004, 10:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Mantis Mayer

Are you an angel? Sent down with a mission to tame this board?
No just someone who wants to get along with my fellow stick and string buddies! I guess what sparked it was I was at a 3D shoot and a lady made the comment one of those compound guys! Like I said I like all forms of Archery and shoot different styles and admire those of us who can shoot each style with poise and grace.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Personally, I do not see many traditional guys at the local shoots...except for the bigger archery "festivals" each summer. I have no problem shooting with them and would actually be more interested in seeing their shooting style.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:05 AM
Typical Buck

At our club trad. archery is comeing back! Alot of guys including myself are now going to have a recurve leauge night next winter. I'm really looking forward to that , it's going to be a blast.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot compounds for 12 years. One summer I picked my mid 1990's bow up and shot really, really well and thought, damn, there is really no challenge to shooting this anymore (and todays compounds wax the compound I was shooting then). So the challenge of archery shooting was gone, I didn't even like it anymore.

And then I got a longbow. WHOA ! One arrow out of 20 going where I wanted it to. Focus, release, hold, stance, ... man if it wasn't ont thing it was another! And then every now and then that one shot hitting that coke can - wow, what a great feeling ! I loved archery again, I shoot all the time because I like it, and I still aint that good of a shot !
Old 04-26-2004, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why a recurve or a compound? Why a truck or a car. To some, it's a way to get from point A to B, or a way to kill an animal. Nothing wrong with that at all - take your pick.

I personally like shooting my recurve over my compound - for pure shooting enjoyment - because of the challenge. I like the stick and string because there is hundreds of millions of dollars of gadgets on the wall of every archery shop that does not apply to me at all - saves me money. If you like that sort of thing, cool. Go for it.

I hunt with my compound because my consistency with the recurve is not where I want it or consider it to be in order to hunt. That is my fault - I do not practice enough with the recurve.

Good thing we have compounds available for those of us that only practice the day before the season.[:@][:'(]
Old 04-26-2004, 04:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Frank, come on down and visit at our club, if you're ever in the neighborhood some Thursday evening. Last week, we had 20 shooters at our Thursday night fun shoot. Only 3 were shooting compounds. We had a good time in spite of them. [8D]

Quick Reply: Why a Recurve or Compound?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.