Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why a Recurve or Compound?

Old 04-26-2004, 06:53 PM

Default RE: Why a Recurve or Compound?

We had a good time in spite of them.
There is my point of this whole posting! I don't feel I am better then the guy with wheels and sprockets or better then the guy with a high Tec compound. My question is why do we have to poke fun at each other in what way we shoot. Believe it or not we are a small breed of people that enjoy the sport of Archery, be it target or hunting! Each style is fun so lets do them all and understand each other before we past a judgment.
Just my 2 cent
Old 04-26-2004, 07:07 PM

Believe it or not we are a small breed of people that enjoy the sport of Archery
GREAT POST CAUSE YOU'RE RIGHT, JUST LOOK AT YOUR STATES HARVEST RECORDS AND SEE HOW MANY ANIMALS WERE HARVESTED WITH A BOW. NOT THAT MANY AT ALL. IT'S GOOD TO BE ONE OF A SELECT FEW.
Old 04-27-2004, 06:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Toycrazy. A sense of humor goes a long way toward understanding. Try it sometime.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:14 PM

I do, I also laugh at the joke that are made! But not every one does laugh when they don't see the joke! [:@]

I also believe you have to be able to laugh at yourself before you can laugh at someone else!

My point is have fun shooting your bow and respect your fellow archer next to you and his choice of equipment!
Old 04-28-2004, 05:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Frank, come on down and visit at our club, if you're ever in the neighborhood some Thursday evening. Last week, we had 20 shooters at our Thursday night fun shoot. Only 3 were shooting compounds. We had a good time in spite of them.
Don't worry Toycrazy. We all tolerate Arthur's opinions on archery because he can be very humorous at times.

Arthur,

Ok, I will convince the wife that on our next vacation we should visit the big old country of Texas. Give me some tourist attractions that I can sell her on...
Old 04-28-2004, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Compound shooter steps up to the stake at 9:15 am after glassing target for 3 minutes. He has controlled breathing, stares at the target ... and backs up a step. He shakes himself off, back to the stake at 9:17 am, clips the release to the string, stares at the target ... and back away. 9:18 am compounder once again approaches stake, stares at target, clips on release, holds the bos poised to draw ... and backs away again. He references his cheat sheet McKenzie target guide on his hip, makes mental adjustments and once again moves to the stake. 9:22 am, compounder raises his bow, draw and settles in on his target. 9:23 am compounder releases - SOB ! Yes, its a 12 but not an "X" and compounder walks away in disgust.

============

Recurve shooter walks to stake at 9:15:00 am, sees target and nocks an arrow. 9:15:10 recurve shooter concentrates, draws and releases. Wood shaft flies low and slinters into a dozen pieces right under the target - recurve shooters laughs as does his buddies, just another fun day shooting.

Theres the difference .......
Old 04-28-2004, 10:51 AM

Theres the difference .......
I suppose some of the serious compound shooters do that, but not in my circle of friends. In our group, you're most likely trying to shoot as quick as possible, before the buddy behind you, starts tickling your neck with a branch while your shooting. Or, one of the other guys starts letting out some not so subtle gagging noises.

We're hunters, and do 3D strictly as practice for hunting. Hold for more then 5 seconds and someone is bound to start mess'in with you. It might start with someone clearing their throat, followed by a comment like, "where you going to find a deer that will let you aim that long before releasing? Must be you got a license for a cage hunt this year." In our group, it doesn't take a minute for all 4 or 5 of us to shoot. In additon, not one of us would hesitate to shoot traditional equipment and we'd have just as much fun, shooting either. Then again, we're not really target shooters, we're hunters and our practice is dedicated to shooting how we likely would, if we were hunting. The equipment we use is irrelevant, and our actions are not dictated by what we shoot.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:13 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: stealthycat

Compound bow hunter one who walks up guesses the yardage draws his arrow back and lets if fly! Hoping that you at least get a 8 and then maybe cut the line for a 10.

Stealthcat what you stated was a Target shooter playing on a hunting course!

I have to agree with you they are a pain but I half to believe there having some kind of fun being so anal! excuss me I mean shoot with perfection!!!
Old 04-29-2004, 07:49 AM
Typical Buck

Stealthy, believe me when I say this, us gear heads do not like shooting with those guys anymore than you do. Quite frankly, I will not voluntarily shoot with anyone that takes longer than 30 seconds to shoot.

I am sick and tired of the mentallity coming from both sides of the aisle. I have been to trad shoots (Elberton and Alabama) where I was talked down to because I prefer to shoot a compound, a big reason why I do not care if I ever attend another "trad" archery festival again in my life. I have had trad archers refuse to let me shoot with them in local shoots because I have "training wheels." On the other hand, I know compounders with the same mentality in reverse.

There is a club president in one of our local clubs that shoots trad, but lately has had a bout with carpal tunnel, so he has been shooting a release with his recurve because he can not physically draw his recurve right now. The local trad club has informed him he is not welcome to shoot until he gets rid of the release. Having said that, there are only a few wheelies that will let him shoot with him at the local club shoots. Frankly, he and I have a great time when we shoot together, sometimes to the point of aggrevating other shooters because we are "too loud."

Bobby and I have a great time because we view each other as archery brethren regardless of our choice of gear. I would rather be known as an archer, regardless if I have my Chekmate Firebird or Hoyt Ultratec in my hand.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:51 AM
Typical Buck

Oh yeah, on a side note, the way I handle the shooters that toake that long is simple. I enforce the rules. Our local clubs are 2 minutes for the first shooter, one minute for every shooter after that. Take too long with me in the group and you will get 1 warning, as per the rules, after that it is x's for taking too long.

Quick Reply: Why a Recurve or Compound?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.