Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My first Bow

Old 04-23-2004, 02:34 PM

Default My first Bow

First off id like to say what a great sight this is, i found it a few days ago and really enjoy checking it out, with that said i have a few questions that I was hoping i could get help with. I recently purchased my first bow, a Reflex excursion, i had it set at 26" draw and 55#. I want to get out this weekend and start practicing. This is were my question arises, I need to purchase some arrows but im not sure what kind would be best, and im a little shady on the grain differences perhaps someone could shed some light on the matter and/or give me some setup tips to get me off on the right foot.
Old 04-23-2004, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My first Bow

There are nearly endless choices out there. As far as what type, it just depends on how deep your pockets are. Do you have any preferences (carbon or aluminum), also what weight broadhead will you be shooting. The broadhead weight is important in making your selection. Answer these couple of questions and we can get started.
Old 04-23-2004, 03:16 PM

Ill be using aluminum arrows, i have a aluminum whisker biscuit on it, is there a way of determing other then practicing what a good wieghted broadhead would be for me.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you have any pro shops near you? If so, I'd suggest going there and having them check your front of center weight with both 100 & 125 grain broadheads. Based on the information so far, I'd suspect a 100 grain would be the best for your application, so I'll give some suggestions based off that.

First choice would be Easton XX78 Super Slam 2312. I would suggest fletching with 4" feathers and use a 100 grain field point/broadhead. THis should net a finished arrow weight of around 405 grains and put your speed at around 193-195 fps. Not bad considering your draw weight and length. Your kinetic energy is kinda low, so be very selective with your shots.

Second choice would be Easton XX78 Super Slams 2212. Again 100 grain broadhead and 4" feathers. This should weigh in around 390 grains and get you to about 200 fps.

If you decide against feathers and go with vanes you can add about 24 grains to your arrow weight an that will cost you more speed. Besides, feathers are more forgiving and IMO do a better and quicker job of stabilizing the arrow.

The only other thing I would like to know is what string accessories do you have. By that I mean do you have a peep sight? Is is with or without the rubber tubing? How many brass nocks do you have on your string? Do you have cat whiskers (rubber stringy silencers) or string leeches (Z shaped rubber things)? I made some assumptions when calculating your speed so these answers would help me get a little more accurate.

Hope this helps you out.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:39 PM

I have 1 nock on it (do you recommend a 2nd?), other than that i have no cat whiskers or peep sights, i was thinking of looking into the no-peep sight from timber line (also do you recommend that or a string peep seeing as this is my first bow). I want to add a string silencer of some type also but my lack of knowledge is very limited, could you also recommend somthing and how many. Thanks for your time and patience with me, i have alot of questions and would really like to get off on the right foot.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:07 PM

I would strongly recommend a peep or the timberline no peep. Either will help you gain consistant anchor and increased accuracy. Which one is up to you, however a plain string peep is much cheaper and just as accurate. The timberline might be something you try later. For string silencers, that is a personal thing. I never thought I needed them, so I never used them. Others do use them. If you only have one nock, and it is brass, you need to be careful if you shoot with a release, as it will scratch the release and could eventually cut your serving. You might consider a string loop tied on instead of a nock, as it has many advantages over a conventional nock. Again, this can be a matter of personal preference. I would suggest you go by a pro shop and have them help you out. Also, find some friends at a local club or indoor range. Archery people, as a general rule, are a friendly and helpful bunch of folks, although a bit long winded about equipment, as you can tell.

Good luck and have fun,
JMAC