Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Share your first buck kill stories!!!

Old 04-23-2004, 07:55 AM
Typical Buck

Default Share your first buck kill stories!!!

My first buck came in 2002 when I was a freshmen in high school. After school I saw my dad in his car, and he was telling me to hurry up. He told me we were going hunting. So I got dressed and we went to our spots. After we got to our spots, I heard my dad start to rattle. I looked to my left and saw a big doe coming in. I had not shot a deer yet so I was going to shoot her, but then she laid down. I thought great I won't be able to shot her. Then I saw a buck about 10 feet from me! He turned a walked out in front of me. I got ready and shot him. Since I was hunting out of a ground blind my dad and I made I had to sit still for a while so the buck I shot wouldn't see me. Well mydad and I tracked him and after about 60 yards we found him. He was a non-typical 8-pointer. I killed him on Nov. 6th 2002.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:10 AM

Default RE: Share your first buck kill stories!!!

First kill was a 5 X 4 bull elk 40 yards, w/ a Jennings Mag -T wood limbs, true round wheels @ 186 fps, 550 arrow ,shot him in a revine ,hit high in the spine dropped him to his hind legs ,shot again in the lungs ...wow... I didnt know how big these animals are till up close .I was by my self ...dressed & skined ,the weather was hot ! pack out about 3 miles away from my camp ...hunt I`ll never forget !!!!
Old 04-23-2004, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

It was october 16 1998,my first year bowhunting(started rifle hunting in 1989)I got up at 4 am and headed out to my treestand,was sitting down at 4:45.I sat till I could see and knocked an arrow.It was so dark that morning i coulden't see my hand in front of my face.Anyways around 7 the deer started moving around and i had spotted 9 does and yearlings,some right under my stand but i was waiting for a buck.At around 8:15 i heard a snap behind me and i turned very slowly around in my stand and a deer was coming up from behind me.He stoped at exactly 19 yards to feed on the grass under some leaves and i let the arrow fly.It was a perfect double lung hit.I sat in my stand still shaking for a few minutes and got out real quiet and went to my friends house just down the road to have a coffee and call my buddy rob up.He was there in 15 min and we went out to retrieve my deer.The buck only went about 45-50 yards and piled up,I was so happy we got pictures and gutted him out and prepaired for the long drag back to the truck.He was only a 1.5 year old 7 point(8 pt with broken pt)but man was i happy,the wife told me to get the head mounted as it being my first with archery,you can see a picture of him in the deer gallery.I have shot alot of deer with firearm but its not the same with archery,a whole different feeling
Old 04-23-2004, 08:43 AM
Typical Buck

I agree extreme1 archery is the best way to go. I started hunt when I was 13 because that's when my dad let me. It has been three years and now I will be turning 16 in May and I have killed all but one of my deer with a bow and It is awsome!!! I killed a doe with a shotgun and that was fun because she was my first deer with a gun but you take gun hunting away from me and I wouldn't care because bow hunting is number 1 for me. Great stories.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:42 AM

My first and second bucks were last season. I can-called a 5-pointer first for 15-20 minutes. I thought he was leaving the area as he never really looked my direction when I called. HE ducked around some blowdowns and came in from behind me. I shot him at 20 yards and he ran right under my tree and out another 20-30 yards and went down in a slough, dead.
The second was 150 yards from the same spot. He was an 8 pointer that snuck in and ignored my scent bombs completely. He stood broadside at 20 yards and I shot. My cam hit my stand as it recoiled and caused the shot to be a little off. He felt a sting and jumped, but went nowhere. He he stood there until he started getting wobbly legged and tried to run. He did a face plant into a tree 20 yards away and died.
Old 04-23-2004, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

first buck was a five point 155 field dressed second year hunting with shotgun. had a stand that had to walk across creek to get to it. well all thru bow season crossed no problem .did not hunt stand for two weeks before shotgun season. that morning was colder than a well diggers arse went to stand before daylight and crossing creek wnet in to the knees . climbed into stand poured the water out of boots put on dry socks about an hour and half after daylight feet were getting cold . told myself wait another hour grunted twice about 5 minutes later here comes this buck right down the same trail i came in on and he walked up to the same place where i crossed the creek about 20 yards from my stand right in the sweet spot down for the count . funny thing after that my feet were not even cold anymore
Old 04-23-2004, 09:34 PM

The year was 1987. I had been "learning" to hunt from a retired Green Beret and a retired police officer/high school teacher. They taught me alot of useful information and alot of misinformation as well. (smoke as many cigarettes as you want...deer smell smoke in the woods and it doesnt spook them!)

Anyway I went hunting by myself after work one afternoon and while walking to my stand in a stand of hardwoods, I decided to "walk" like a deer. Read a magazine that said to take three short steps and stop for one minute before repeating.

By the time I made it to the hardwoods, quite some time had passed. The cover leading up to the clearing was fairly dense and I decided to squat and look into the clearing. Lo and behold...deer legs!. I knew they were deer legs because I had seen hundreds of them...in magazines. I shouldered my new 30-06, find the chest in the scope and squeeze the trigger. Nothhing! I forgot to take the safety off. The next time I squeezed that trigger, I heard a loud BOOOOM. I ran to where I last saw the deer and my trophy fell right where he was hit.

That trpohy made me a HUNTER and I proudly displayed his skull plate and two 7" spikes for many years.

Sean
Old 04-24-2004, 04:39 PM

I got my first deer in 1997 when I was 12. It was my first day hunting ever and it was the Michigan bow opener on October 1st. I had been in the woods for about 50 minutes and it was just after 6 pm, I was in a treestand about 15 feet up at the edge of a field. I heard crunching behind me and slowly turned my head towards the sound and saw a button buck staring at me.My heart was pounding in my ears and the buck kept walking down the trail towards the field. When its head passed behind a tree I stood up all the way. The deer stopped and put its head down and I came to full draw. I shot and it entered cleanly behind the shoulder for a double lung shot. I was shooting a mere 38# bow and the arrow did not exit on the other side of the deer, but stayed inside and as the deer ran the nock end hit branches and trees, causing the broadhead to swirl around iside the chest cavity. The blood trail was incredible with what he was hacking up with what was left of his lungs. He went about 50 yds. Only after I shot the deer did the shakes start and I could barely get down from the tree I was so excited. My dad and three of my younger brothers were watching me through binoculars camouflaged in a rock/brush pile in the field and saw everything. I gutted the deer by myself and helped my dad butcher it. I then tanned the hide by myself and to this day I still have it pegged to my bedroom wall at home. To this day, that 1 hour hunt has been as crystal clear as though it had happened yesterday. That experience was one of the best I have ever had and I want to share that experience with as many people as I can and as I have gotten older and can drive I have taken my brothers, who were watching from the rocks because they were too young to hunt, bowhunting many times. The picture is a little fuzzy because I had to take a picture of a picture with a camera and then downsize it on my computer, but hey, whatever.

Old 04-25-2004, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was reading some of the posts here and i thought it was the first buck with archery equipment,sorry my mistake.I have been hunting since 89 and that was the first year i shot a buck.It was also a nice 7 pointI shot him with a 30-30 my father gave me.Over the years i have shot alot of other bucks and does,and started bow hunting in 98.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:58 PM
Typical Buck

I love all of the stories because I like to hear other peoples hunting stories. Keep posting your stories