Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does anyone use a canoe while hunting?

Old 04-22-2004, 10:04 AM

Default Does anyone use a canoe while hunting?

I've come across a large parcel of public land that I would like to hunt this season. The land is mostly low lying hardwood swamp with dry ridges in between creeks and sloughs. I've studied a map a noticed one large creek that runs right in the middle of this place and then plays out. I'm planning on using a canoe to get back into these remote areas.

Has anyone had any experience using a canoe for deer hunting? What brand would you recommend?
Old 04-22-2004, 10:08 AM

Default RE: Does anyone use a canoe while hunting?

When i live in idaho i hunted a swampy marsh area. Was able to take a canoe miles back and hunt. My canoe was 12ft long and made out of rotting fiberglass and it still worked fine. a little heavy to launch but it worked. Coleman makes a cheap one plus im sure you can find a cheap one forsale around some lake. Just make sure you get some practice in one cause they are fairly easy to tip over if you get a little excitied. Its pretty easy to get a deer into a canoe to. We put a deer in ours with all our hunting gear and 2 people and it made it just fine.

Kev
Old 04-22-2004, 10:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

I gotcha covered on this one DC. I used my canoe last season for turkey. Took it across a lake up in the Poconos (region of eastern PA) to hunt the far side which had significantly less hunting pressure.

I have a Radisson canoe. We bought it last season. It is the big version as we tend to use it as a family and not just one individual. However they do make smaller versions. A 12 footer would probably be perfect for your application. They are an olive green drab color and I am pretty sure the 12 foot conventional style canoe weighs about 34 lbs. It comes with mesh bamboo seats and two paddles (more properly oars as they have oar locks, etc.. mounted on the canoe). Great investment in my opinion.

http://www.bwmarineproducts.com/pointed_canoes.htm

Old 04-22-2004, 10:26 AM

Back when I lived in Alabama........I used an Old Town a good bit ! It is an unbelievably stealthy way to access land ! I have had deer literally jump up in front of me when I stepped out on to the bank seemingly unaware I was there until my feet hit !!

I'd just suggest getting a fairly wide/stable design canoe......their easy enough to turn over........a narrow faster one ......well you know ! I flipped mine(my dad's) in about 5 ft of water one time @ about 25 degrees outside ! It wasn't much fun making trips back and forth collecting gear !!
Old 04-22-2004, 12:46 PM

You better get some practice using it in the dark as well. That was the hardest part when I tried it a few times in a few lakes with a fair amount of tree tops protruding.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:58 PM
Fork Horn

My friend uses an old town 12 ft. that weighs 30 lbs. for duck hunting.
It is easy to handle by yourself.
We use his other old town 17 foot for deer season, we had 2 med. sized deer and our summit treestands, bows, and packs in it, very stable!
Old 04-22-2004, 02:27 PM

Only of you row it by hand. And I mean NO oars......

I have an ethical problem with guys who cheat by using oars - its to easy and anyone can do it.

If you love canoeing you use your bare hands

Old 04-22-2004, 02:33 PM

Well, I see stealthy has Rack all shook up
Old 04-23-2004, 05:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have an ethical problem with guys who cheat by using oars - its to easy and anyone can do it.
By hand? Oars? Heck man, I bought one of the square back ones and use a trolling motor!!

Old 04-23-2004, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a canoe sometimes. Not if I can get buy without it though. I don't know what type, it's one that we bought used from a canoe resort north of my home. I would like to add some advice if you are willing to listen though. Don't get caught up in thinking that you have to hunt the dry ridges or dry ground for that matter. If this is a naturally low lying area these deer learned long ago that they can go to the water and escape many predators (most humans as well). If you start hunting these dry ridges I think you will find that many deer will come by you out of shooting range out in the water. The deeper that water the harder it is to read sign but they will respond to distinguishing terrain characteristics (funnels, transition between thick and open woods, inside corners etc) just the same. Also, if there are acorns there they will feed on the acorns just the same and they will come to drifts that acorns have drifted into. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Does anyone use a canoe while hunting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.