Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhuntin' in the rain???

Old 04-21-2004, 06:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bowhuntin' in the rain???

Sure, I hun tin the rain, no problem. Just have to dress for it. But heavy rain with wind I'd rather not hunt in.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:09 PM

Well, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only fella that hunts the rain. My first deer was killed in a pretty heavy downpour. Since I've been hunting my lease, I've seen more deer on rainy days than dry days. (both heavy and light rain)
Since I'm just going into my second year of bowhuntin, I haven't gotten a chance to bowhunt the rain much. I just know I want QUIET rainwear.
Now, for the bloodtrailing issue,...............I'm colorblind!!!!!! So it doesn't matter what the weather is doing, I can barely see the stuff anyway! I have a VERY difficult time trailing game. I went help a buddy haul his deer out this past season, and he was pointing to this huge amount of blood spray all over these pines. I had to get within a foot or less from the blood to see it. It just doesn't stand out to me. I hope this does mean that I should stop hunting.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Liked your post Mike--I use the same rain gear, it's light and easily packable.
Last year we were up North for 10 days on a Moose hunting trip, 6 out of the ten days it rained, 2 days it snowed and 2 days of sunshine.
We had no choice, we hunted in the rain every day.
I like when it rains, the animals tend to move in open fields & trails/roads right after the rain and even when it drizzles.
Mike the Porta Roof is great, I use one myself--but if there's blowing wind then it doesn't help that much because the umbrella has to have enough distance from you so you could stand & shoot the bow. However if you sit and shoot you could of course bring the umbrella closer to your head and that will work alot better.
Just 'don't' leave it out when you're out of the stand, I did once--and the heavy winds altered the shape in short order .
Old 04-21-2004, 01:27 PM

Killed my first deer(after being away from bowhunting for 27 years)during a rainstorm in which I sat though 1 1/2 inches for 3 hours. It was worth every minute!...Bob