Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what age do you think is godd to hunt by yourself

Old 04-18-2004, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default what age do you think is godd to hunt by yourself

ahah this always gets broughten up doesnt it
i think 14 but how could u get to ur spot...no car
Old 04-18-2004, 09:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: what age do you think is godd to hunt by yourself

When you can spell good.

Depends on how long you've been hunting I'd say. My son will be 14 next month and I would drop him off for an hunt if I couldn't go. NYS law say's I can't do that however.
Old 04-18-2004, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think that you can actually put an age limit on it but more of what your skill level is. I have seen some kids that are very good woodsman and then again I have seen some grown adults that have no need to be in the woods. You need to ask yourself if you can field dress an animal and then get it out of the woods in time? What about emergency situations that may arise? This is where skill comes in. Good Luck, Bobby
Old 04-18-2004, 03:21 PM

Here in Washington it's 16, which I think is pretty decent considering most people get their Driver's Licenses this year too.
Old 04-18-2004, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

16 sounds good to me , with parental consent .
Old 04-18-2004, 06:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Right now I'm thinking on 12. I will tell you how close I come when I let my boy/girl go on there own. I think by then I should know when they are ready to take on the challenge. I have been preping them with the basic use of a fire arm since 4 at the youngest.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:19 PM

I agree with everyone else. It with depend on the child in question. And the laws of the state.
Jeff
Old 04-19-2004, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I started when I was 13, but that was a differnt time and a differnt place. I didn't have my father around to take me, so I would get off the school bus grab my shotgun and go hunting. I don't really know at what age I will turn my boy loose. It really depends on him, how mature he is as well as how responsable he becomes. I will say that while shooting his BB gun yesterday I "cocked it" for him and when I handed it back he informed me that I forgot to put the safety on[:-] OOPS! That shows me he is paying attention and is understanding the importance of safety. Not bad for being only 7.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:22 AM

I started hunting alone when I was 16. I could have earlier but it isn't legal in Maine. 16 is a godd age
Old 04-19-2004, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

in wyoming we could hunt small game and birds at twelve then big game at 14. This worked out pretty well. Also in accordance with skill level, and overall understanding of mother nature, I think there is a certain maturity level that must be present. I know that there are several hunters that are 25 and still probably not mature enough to actually be hunting. but by the same token, I've hunted with 12 year olds that were safe and extremely knowledgeable. So I guess 14 seems to be pretty good.

Quick Reply: what age do you think is godd to hunt by yourself

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.