Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what age do you think is godd to hunt by yourself

Old 04-20-2004, 04:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: what age do you think is godd to hunt by yourself

I think 12 is a good average number. But it is really relative.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:37 PM

i started hunting by myself when i was 13...
Old 04-20-2004, 10:11 PM

i started out alone at 16 because of Pa's laws. But it all depends on your local regs and the individual person.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:11 AM
Dominant Buck

I would think it depends on a lot of factors. The most important would be the kid him/herself. I also think the game and weapon would be important. Of course the laws most often tell you but not always. New York was 14 when I was growing up or something like that. At age 8, I started hunting woodchucks and lesser forest critters with a 22. I started hunting ruffed grouse at about age 10 with a 20 guage. I wasn't allowed to hunt deer until I was 14. I didn't really learn how to hunt deer until I was about 30. (Slow learner.) [&:] IT really depends on the kid, his maturity, safety practices, and how much he's been out with dad or another adult. Excluding the exceptional kids I'd say in all honesty that anything before age 14 is probably shaky. There are just too many unsafe, over eager, rushed kids out there in the woods. I know there are exceptions, but they're rare. Lens kid is safer and more woods savy than a lot of adults I've been around. That comes from lots of time, training, schooling and practice with dad. I have no idea how many times Len has made him sit through a hunter safety class or a bowhunter education class. He's grown up in an Archery shop. He's an exception. I teach hunter safety classes. I see too many kids that dad is rushing. They just don't have the maturity or the safety skills yet.