Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Which broadheads provide the best blood trails??

Old 04-16-2004, 12:05 PM

Default RE: Which broadheads provide the best blood trails??

I agree with what you guys are saying ........a good shot is a good shot and the animal will die quick ! But another important factor would be terrain !

I don't know about all you guys hunting land........but in the South it can be real thick ! If you know where deer are coming out of a thicket to a feeding area..........if you investigate and crawl into the thicket on your belly or hands and knees 30-40 yards you may find many different trails going all directions .....uphill....downhill......left .....right ......straight ....whatever !!They may use one trail one day and another the next .........hard to pattern an exact trail !!

If you shoot a deer and it runs 100 yrds into a thicket like I'm talking about (seems like a mile)...........you need all the help you can get ! Of course a good tracker can find a fatally hit deer.......by tracks , specks of blood, intuition, etc. .......probably everytime......but a great very thick blood trail that starts within a few yards of a hit and is easy to follow obviously makes things easier !

I have shot deer in openings and watched them go down.......but I have also seen them run into a thicket and practically vanish into thin air !

Personally......I'll take the thickest , bloodiest, most horrific bloodtrail I can get !
Old 04-16-2004, 12:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sharp ones.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:42 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-16-2004, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Best blood trails for me with fixed heads have been from Muzzys. Bets blood trails with mechanicals would have to be NAP Spitfires with the Gator XPs that I currently shoot running a close second place.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Blood trails vary from hit to hit and exact shot placement. That said all things being equel larger heads leave larger blood trails. In a fixed blade head Snuffers are King. When in the relm of mechanicals then the door is wide open as far as size. The key is to shoot the largest head you can while still giving your self the best chance for a total pass through. Exit wounds are one of the biggest keys to blood trails.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've killed deer with Magnus, Muzzy, Thunderheads, Satelites, Bear and a few others, so I'm looking for info on others. Thanks.
First , I've killed deer with all the heads you mentioned except the satellites (those went directly into my junk collection).

Please assume all hits are double lungers. And yes, a deer can cover quite alot of ground with a double lung hit.

What broadheads in your experience have left amazing blood trails?
The NAP spitfires left blood good blood trails!

Last year I tried the Rocky Mountain Snypers for the first time. Compared with all of my other double lung hits the Snypers won hands down!
I was amazed! I've never had a spray of blood like that at the spot of impact. It looked like someone filled a spray bottle with blood and emptied it right there. I had a spray of blood that went a good six feet past where my arrow was stuck in the ground. Needless to say the tracking job was quick (in total darkness) with a small mag light. When I field dressed the buck the lungs were mush.

I know others will say the same will happen with any good broadhead with perfect shot placement. I'm just giving you my experience.

But, I do not totally trust mechanicals and my setup is low KE(50-55), so I am iffy about trying mechs
Out of all the mechs I've tried , the Snypers are the least like any other mechs in terms of a lack of penetration due to the opening blades. Their design puts them as close to a 2 blade fixed head as a mech could get.
I dont see any problem shooting them with a low kinetic energy setup.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:09 PM

i agree bowfanatic..........I usually shoot muzzys but last year i tried the snypers....I swore that I would never shoot mechanicals but the snypers really won me over, they are a great head.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:35 PM

Tracked a doe shot by my buddy with a 4 blade SteelForce head last year. Not much of a track job because blood was everywhere. Granted it was a great hit but even so I was impressed. After stripping the hide off that girl and observing the wound channel I give SteelForce heads a A+ rating. I have seen less from 12 gauge slugs. My brother also took a buck with the same heads and had the same outcome........a red brick road right to his deer. When he dressed the deer he actually dragged it a few feet away so he didn't have to wade in the massive blood puddle around the fallen deer.

I used Magnus Stingers 2 blade last year because they flew like darts and are sharp as a razor. The SteelForce and Muzzy's I had flew great as well.........I just liked the Stingers personally........as soon as I get a shot I will let you know how the Stingers do

I think primarily what every hunter should be concerned with is penetration......period. If you can blow a 2" mechanical through a deer then by all means do so. Most heads out there will give a minimal trail if you only have an entry wound.......especially a high one. I shot a WASP JAK-HAMMER right through the pump of a buck 2 years ago and I was on all fours looking for drips of blood (No exit wound)......the deer was dead in 10 seconds but was hard to find. Getting a pass through will give best blood no matter what head.....of course shot placement will dictate how much and what kind of blood your gonna find but different topic.

If you look at the trends in BH's this year you will see a lot of companies putting out cut on contact heads. I think more and more people are finding themselves in your shoes (Myself included) and want max penetration. My experience lead me to my current setup with Stingers flying at 275 fps so hopefully I will need a shovel to get the arrow out of ground after a hit SteelForce has a cool new head out and so does NAP I think. The Montec G5's also have caught my eye.

One more thing. Both those deer killed with SteelForce heads were at 57 and 60 lbs and about 240fps. Not blazing speed or heavy draws.........just good accurate shots.

Find something that is gonna make the biggest TWO holes in a deer coming off your bow and screw 'em on!!

Best of Luck
Old 04-17-2004, 10:03 AM

My hunting partner shot a small buck, the SoCal type, with a Nap spitfire. The shot was just in front of the left front leg and hit the lower chest from the side. The head sliced through the artery down the front leg and even though only one blade opened he bled out and only went about 100 feet. This with only 240 fps. That was the 2nd deer shot and both expired quickly.
atrox
Old 04-17-2004, 10:13 AM

PS His 2nd deer shot was a liver shot and went about 180 feet.

Quick Reply: Which broadheads provide the best blood trails??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.