Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how much practice?

Old 04-15-2004, 04:35 PM

Default how much practice?

i was just wondering about how much practice you all put in before season. i generally shoot about 60 arrows a day starting from now up until season. (not every day, about every other day) i might be over doing i dont want to have any more lucky kills or miss any easy shots.
Old 04-15-2004, 05:12 PM

Default RE: how much practice?

I shot at least 700 arrows a week. If you cannot shot 60 arrows a day, without get tired don't shot that many (break it up into 2 segments). All this does is give you bad habits. I shot until groups deviate. I shot more then most, or at least that is what i have heard. I also practice year round. Until i can "Robin Hood" every arrow at 50 yards i will continue to practice this much.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:21 PM

I never counted. I shot until I got tired of shooting. But, I tried to shoot only every other day. Your muscles (including the one between the ears) needs a break now and then. Limit your shooting. Stop when you notice that your groups are opening up. Try to stop on a good note. If your shooting falls apart though, stop. A few good shots beats 100 bad shots any day.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:08 PM

Last season was my 1st bow hunting experence. I practiced plenty.
This year I will practice more from elevated positions. There is, as I found out, a lot of difference between level ground and elevated platforms.
Good luck
Old 04-15-2004, 09:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

3 step,I don't want to try and hijack this thread but you said there is a lot of difference from an elevated position verses flat.You are relatively new to this sport so I just wanted to let you know that when you shoot from an elevated position or shoot up hill,ALWAYS pull to anchor and then bend at the waist.Then you will not see much difference in shooting from a stand or up a hill,other than yardage difference.The shot should be made as if it wwere flat.The yardage will be straight out from the base of the tree and not at the angle from your stand.

As for how much I practice.I practice or compete year round.I shot about an hour and a half today and that is about normal for a shooting session.I try to get out and shoot 3-4 times a week.I agree that when you get tired that you can develope bad habits but one thing I like to do is to work through the tired and get back to the good stuff.This works on my focus more.Some times you need to realize when you are TOO TIRED and when you are just getting tired and that good shots can still be made.If you are too tired you need to rest but if it is just a matter of not focusing,then work on that part and get focused.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I only have time for 7 days of practice a week . I will shoot one day from an elevated platform (roof, or treestand in my yard), and the next I will shoot from the ground. Its awesome haveing a range in your back yard
Old 04-16-2004, 09:42 AM

ALWAYS pull to anchor and then bend at the waist
Thanks for the tip TFOX. The 1st time I drew my bow in the stand I pulled my anchor to the corner of my eye instead of my mouth. It was for a practice shot before I climbed down. Wierd feeling!
Thx again
Old 04-16-2004, 09:50 AM

about an hour a day if weather permits and work and the wife/ honey do list!!!!
Old 04-16-2004, 10:16 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-16-2004, 10:51 AM

I shoot everyday....always quit when you start to get tired. When you get tired your groups will open up and you will try to change your form to compensate, which will lead to bad habits.

Quick Reply: how much practice?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.