Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rocket Hammerheads ly 2inch cutting diameter.

Old 04-15-2004, 11:57 AM

Default Rocket Hammerheads ly 2inch cutting diameter.

I have been shooting these broadheads for nearly 6 years and have had great succsess with them. I have always had pass throughs and great trails. On several shots I have taken I had complete pass throughs and cut right through 2 ribs going in and two ribs going out. The only problem I have notice is that the blades will bend on some shots. This I feel is a good advantage because it helps me to get good pass throughs when I hit something solid. The blades will bend when in contact with heavy bone and continue passing through. Can you share your experience with this particular broadhead?

Old 04-15-2004, 12:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Rocket Hammerheads ly 2inch cutting diameter.

My experiences are pretty much the same as your own. I have no problem with penetration or accuracy with these heads...but the key is KE and a well tuned bow. Your signature shows that you are shooting a 423 grain arrow at 273 fps...similar to my own setup. I don't have a KE calculator handy but that should equate to roughly 70 ft. lbs of KE. I believe at least 65 ft. lbs of KE is needed to really get these 2 inch cutting diameter heads to function appropriately. They definitely are not for everyone but they are devastating with the correct setup.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:11 PM

Hey PABowhntr you are exactly right I am exactly 70ft lbs. of KE
Old 04-15-2004, 12:12 PM

I have shot a couple of deer with them and they worked good ! I like some other heads better......but they did what their supposed to do and do put a pretty good hole in a deer !