Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Been out siting my bow

Old 04-15-2004, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Been out siting my bow

Got them at 10 15 20 30

I can shoot at 20 yards the best

Should I practice with broadheads or field tips. With the blades on or off?

Thanks,
Colby(Trapper_Hunter)
Old 04-15-2004, 08:27 AM

Default RE: Been out siting my bow

Got them at 10 15 20 30
I would assume you are refering to your pin set up. This coulld very well work for you. You may want to try shooting at 10 and 15 with you 20 pin. I don't know what you are shooting for #, speed or arrows but I shoot one pin for 25yds and closer.

Should I practice with broadheads or field tips. With the blades on or off?
Get good with field points but definately shoot and tune you bow to broadheads before the season starts. You definately don't want you first broadhead shot of the year to be at a deer.

Just my $.02
Old 04-15-2004, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I practice with field points, but periodically insure that my broadheads are flying the same.
Never tried shooting BH's without blades. Hmmm, interesting. I may try it.

I've got to agree with ADAMS about the pins, at least for hunting. If I shoot using my 20 yard pin at 10 yards, I have about a 1 inch difference in point of impact. I'm not shooting any speed demon either - only 212 fps. That's too small of a difference to warrant another pin on my sight that will only help to obscure my view of the game I'm shooting. Just set up for 20 or 25 and hold a bit low for shorter ranges, and a bit high for longer. Experiment to see how much of a difference there is with your setup.

I've got a second pin on my sight, but right now it's only to assist with yardage estimation and acts as a backup to my primary if it should break. I haven't gotten around to actually adjusting it for a given yardage. Having too much fun shooting out 1" stickers at 12 yards in my basement. I'll probably eventually set that second pin up for about 35 or 40 yards, and just estimate for in-between.

Keep your sight, and the rest of your hunting equipment, simple and streamlined. Mr Murphy rules the woods.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:36 PM

I am not sure what speed your shootin, but you can probably get away with a 20yd and under pin. Then maybe you could try a 20, 30, 40, 50 setup. For me 5 yd increments are to insignificant. I like to go at least 10yd increments, but with my new bow I use 20yd increments because I like the wider gap. Just something for you to think about.
Old 04-18-2004, 01:11 AM

Me too...over 2 weekends I've been sighting in my sight. 10, 20, 30 meters for the first weekend, and finished today with 40 and the 50 meters pins. I think a 10 yard/meter gap between pins is good...no need for a 5 yard/meter pin in between them.