Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question for proshop owners & employees?

Old 04-14-2004, 11:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question for proshop owners & employees?

I did some research on the internet & found a SKB double bow case I want in Cabelas. Instead of ordering the case thru cabelas, I told my local pro what case I wanted. He gave me a price quote of $280.00 Cabelas sells the exact same bow case for $179.99. I told him to "hold off on ordering me that case, I don't think I want to spend that much".

Should I talk to my pro off to the side about his price? Maybe he gave me the wrong price by accident? I do not mind paying more for this bow case because he has a great shop & does great work. I just will not pay an extra $100 for this bow case. Thats just asking too much. Should I tell him I saw the exact same bow case in Cabelas for $100 less? I hate telling anyone what Cabelas sells there products for.

Pro shop owners & employees what would you want your loyal customers to do???
Old 04-15-2004, 05:32 AM

Default RE: Question for proshop owners & employees?

I don't own a bow shop, but I do own other businesses and knowing what your competition sells items for, is good. Sure, go ahead and tell him. Just say you wanted to give him the chance to get the sale, but it's not worth $100 extra, to do business with him. Be honest, if it offends him, he's a poor businessman. If he simply can't do it, at least you gave him the chance.

Personally, I not only want to know what my competition is selling items for, but I want my customer's view on any differences. He may decide to lower prices, or to simply not carry that item anymore. Either way, knowledge of his customer's views gives him the ability to make a better decision.
Old 04-15-2004, 06:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sure, go ahead and tell him. Just say you wanted to give him the chance to get the sale, but it's not worth $100 extra, to do business with him. Be honest, if it offends him, he's a poor businessman. If he simply can't do it, at least you gave him the chance.
I agree...especially if you have a good relationship with him. A $100 difference does sound a bit steep and I would not be surprised to find that he may have misquoted you the price. Most small shops still need to make a profit so their prices may be a bit higher. However, in some cases the prices could very well be the same as Cabelas or even a tad cheaper.
Old 04-15-2004, 06:24 AM

Yes, definitely let him know the difference and that you're willing to work with him. Keep in mind that freight is a key factor in large items. It is so much an item that I've been told that prices on this particular item is going to change quite a bit in the next Cabela's catalog.

I actually keep a Cabela's catalog on my countertop to show customers how we meet and beat a lot of their prices. It can be done if the shop is a member of a 'buying group' and freight and wait is considered. Sometimes I find the customers coming back when they find that 'good' price is not in stock. When catalog errors are made, that item may conveniently become an 'out-of-stock' item.

If he's a smart businessman, he'll probably find a way to work it out with you. Thank you for asking and wanting to support your local shop.
Old 04-15-2004, 06:26 AM

Definitly talk to him. On items like this, his wholesale price is probably as high or higher than Cabela's retail price.
Cabela's and the other big box stores have enormous buying power. They can beat down the price for a manufacturer based on volume. They may sell a thousand of this item to one that your pro shop sells.
It's the nature of the retail business today.
You have to make the decision to support your pro shop or not. Does he provide you with the expertise and service that you need and can't get from Cabela's? Can he keep the doors open with the other business that you give him? Is he a Pro Shop like Len and others described in a recent thread or just an archery shop?
Please let us know what you do.
Thanks
Old 04-15-2004, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Len in Maryland

Keep in mind that freight is a key factor in large items.
Len The freight on this item from Cabelas is just under $13.00 I don't want to be a pain in the rear by throwing it in his face what Cabelas price is. I just want to pay a fair price to my local pro. I want this shop to stay open. I need a good pro around & he is the only one for over 200-miles.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:21 AM

Then don't be afraid to approach him with just these comments. Tell him that you want to meet him somewhere but that $100 extra is just too much for you to sustain. If he doesn't take this as a way to 'work with a customer', I would be shocked. A good businessman should always realize that a smaller percentage is much better than none.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:23 AM

I work at a pro shop and I would definately talk to someone. Usually only the owner or manager can dicker around with prices so I would stop in and ask for either of the two and tell them your situation. Tell them you like to do business locally, but you can get it $100 dollars cheaper in cabellas. Bring the catalog so he/she can see it. Then tell him/her that if they can give you a price close to that you will go through them. This usually works.

Mike