Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help me set up my bow to get the maximum f.p.s. out of it.

Old 04-14-2004, 02:58 PM

Default RE: Help me set up my bow to get the maximum f.p.s. out of it.

It all depends Rack. The feathers i shot don't lay down like store bought feathers, therefore they are slower. However most store bought feathers are not stiff and lay down, and are faster. That is at the bow, the feathers will slow down to the vanes eventually.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:58 PM

I WAS JUST WONDERING WHY YOU WANTED TO SHOOT SO FAST? I CAN'T REMEMBER WHO SAID IT BUT ONCE YOU GET YOUR BOW SHOOTING BULLET HOLES IN PAPER AND GROUPING GOOD KEEP IT THE HELL AWAY FROM A CHRONO. POINT BEING, IF YOU ARE SHOOTING GREAT AND YOU KNOW YOUR BOW IS TUNED GREAT YOU ARE GOING TO BE A LOT MORE CONFIDENT ABOUT YOUR SHOT ON THAT BIG BULL. I THINK THAT EVERYONE SEES THAT HUGE IBO SPEED AND THINKS THAT IT'S THE STANDARD AND ANYTHING BELOW THAT IS NOT GOOD.

AND ABOUT THE THING YOU SAID AT THE BOTTOM OF YOUR POST YOU WANTED TO GET YOUR BOW AS QUIET AS POSSIBLE FOR HUNTING. A GOOD WAY TO START IS TO NOT GET LIGHT ARROWS THEY MAKE TOO MUCH NOISE. IMHO
Old 04-14-2004, 03:04 PM

You're both right........

Feathers are faster within the first 40-50 yards and then are overtaken by vanes due to their increased drag.
Don't get all cute on me

Feathers are faster......period.

Vanes will NOT overtake a feather fletch at 40 or 50 yds. At yardages a little farther than that they may be faster - but to "overtake" the feather it will take a bit more yardage - well out of the "hunting Zone".

And......even if they are flying faster at 50 yds they will not hit the target first

they gots somes catchings ups to do
Old 04-14-2004, 03:10 PM

It all depends Rack. The feathers i shot don't lay down like store bought feathers, therefore they are slower
What do you use??

I don't think any feather Gateway or trueflight "laydown".........actually I am sure they don't. laying down has nothing to do with it. They are lighter so they are faster......period

However most store bought feathers are not stiff and lay down, and are faster
What brand would this be - really only two....and laying down ain't in the equation

Old 04-14-2004, 03:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Rack-attack

I don't think any feather Gateway or trueflight "laydown".........actually I am sure they don't. laying down has nothing to do with it. They are lighter so they are faster......period
That is what I always thought, but I am no engineer.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here ya go, ewolf. Read it. Learn it. Know it. There will be a quiz in the morning.

www.trueflightfeathers.com/facts.htm
Old 04-14-2004, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I WAS JUST WONDERING WHY YOU WANTED TO SHOOT SO FAST? I CAN'T REMEMBER WHO SAID IT BUT ONCE YOU GET YOUR BOW SHOOTING BULLET HOLES IN PAPER AND GROUPING GOOD KEEP IT THE HELL AWAY FROM A CHRONO
I just want to get every f.p.s. out of my bow that is PRATICLE. I just figure it's a long way from here to Sepetember? I might as well have some fun with it. My bow is shooting pretty darn good. I have 188-arrows thru it so far. I will change the string when I get some where between 250 & 300 arrows thru it. I will use a Winners choice string & ditch the peep with the rubber tube.
I figure if I am going to miss a bull elk I might as well do it with a fast arrow?
Old 04-14-2004, 11:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know that a lot of guys want a lightining fast bow, but don't forget that Kenetic Energy is what can make the difference between a pass through and an embedded arrow. Also, elk are big animals. just keep that in mind.
Old 04-15-2004, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would definitely change your string & peep. If you are using a brass nock and eliminators, get rid of them and go with a loop or tied in nock & eliminator.

Also with your very short arrows, you should probably go w/ feathers..this will pick you up a bit of speed and add some forgiveness (and arrow spine will remain sufficient for the bow arrow/combo you have cited). But the main reason is because with that short of an arrow and vanes you likely will have serious FOC problems. It may not show up w/ field points, but fixed blade broadheads or long ferrule mechs will likely get squirrelly on you.

after those changes, I'd leave the bow alone.

As for the feathers ...

I would gather E-wolf is using "natural" turkey feathers (i.e. from wild turkeys).

Feathers do have more drag. They will slow down quicker. But it really depends on how much helical you put on them. With a heavy helical like I use they will slow down much quicker than the same helical with vanes even as close as 30 yards (Was testing this last weekend as a matter of fact). However in a more moderate helical or just an offset, there is little practical difference out to 40 or 50 yards.
Old 04-15-2004, 06:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Here ya go, ewolf. Read it. Learn it. Know it. There will be a quiz in the morning.
Come on now Arthur. I would expect more from you than to actually believe what any manufacturer puts on their own website about a product.

Quick Reply: Help me set up my bow to get the maximum f.p.s. out of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.