Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

news not as bad as 1st thought re kansas

Old 04-13-2004, 03:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default news not as bad as 1st thought re kansas

I received the following email form Wildlife and Parks today: " No changes will occur this year, but legislature did mandate archery units for the 2005 season for both residents and nonresidents. They did provide the department some flexibility: We must create no less than nine units, but it is up to the department where to draw the lines. Also we have the authority to allow permits to be used in more than one unit. We will look at all the population and harvest data and hold public hearings before adopting the final plan." Watch for the hearings and make your opinion known. It sounds to me like we have a chance of maintaining some flexibility but it also sounds like it could turn it to a real night mare for the Wildlife and Parks boys trying to make everyone happy after the political crap was pulled.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: news not as bad as 1st thought re kansas

We must create no less than nine units
Create 9 more units? They already have 18 units! So, I assume they have to create 9 more! Is that right? If so, it will be interesting where the lines get drawn!
Old 04-14-2004, 08:28 AM
Typical Buck

It is my understanding that there will be 9 units for archery total not 9 in addition to what they already have. Depending on how they opt to divide the state up this could help with being able to hunt multiple properties. Right now I own farms in 6 & 12. I hunt mostly in 14 on a friends place just because it has a much better population of deer as well as better sized deer than either one of my places. I still really get a kick out of taking deer off my place even though they propably won't be very large. I just hope that when this all shakes out I will still have the option to hunt in all three places. They are actually only in 2 counties but because of the current unit sizes they are in 3 different units.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't see how much different it is than what we thought earlier. But it's not a suprise, I knew Kathleen S. wouldn't veto. [&o]