Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

WOW, changing your grip can make a HUGE differance!

Old 04-10-2004, 07:24 PM

Default WOW, changing your grip can make a HUGE differance!

Hey guys,

Yesterday evening, I was out shooting my bow! I was shooting pretty good, but I wasn't as consistant as I would like to be! I would slam on dead in the bullseye, and my next would be an inch right, then the next would be an inch left, then the next would be back to the right, ect... I kept thinking to myself that I was getting tired from shooting as I havn't got as much shooting in lately as I would like to! I didn't feel tired in my arms at all, so I just stopped shooting for a bit, sat down, and thought about what could cause this inconsistancy! After thinking about it, I figured that I would just mess around with how I was gripping my bow!

I went back outside and started shooting with the grip that I normally do, which is with my pointer finger wrapped around the grip, and the rest of my fingers left loose. I tried to keep as little contact on the bow as I could!

I started to think about it and I thought that maybe I wasn't getting enough of my hand on my grip. I then changed my grip. I loosely wrap my pointer and middle finger around the grip, and l let my other fingers hang free! Then I made sure that the grip was sitting in the crook of my hand (like ArthurP had told me before), and I made sure that my entire hand was contacting the back of the grip.

Well, I started shooting and I was amazed! My consistancy improved dramatically! At 35 yards, I was getting 1-1/2" groups constantly with 3 arrows. I was shooting again today at 45 yards and I was shooting so much better than I ever have!

I just want to thank ArthurP, I had forgot what he had told me, but man am I glad that I remembered! Just having the back of the grip contacting my entire hand where he told me improved my shooting. Thanks again Arthur!
Old 04-10-2004, 07:37 PM

Default RE: WOW, changing your grip can make a HUGE differance!

Yea, I was one of those that tried everything until I made a change in my grip. I should have started with my grip first! It is so important how you grip your bow, it makes the difference from being an ok shot to being an accurate shooter! I am learning so much from the ones here that have "been there and done that"!!
Old 04-10-2004, 07:49 PM

That's exactely how I grip my bow, but when I showed pictures of it everyone said it wasn't right! Go figure!

But hey, whatever works! I know that I'm hitting good now, why change? Good luck with it!
Old 04-10-2004, 08:18 PM

All a grip has to do is not torque the bow, be comfortable, and repeatable. Its up to you how you do it. Everyone tells me mine is wierd but i have seens lots of people that have tried it like it.
Old 04-10-2004, 08:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

No problem, BM! Glad it worked out so well for you.

Now that you've found your grip, practice it till you've got it grooved in and feeling natural.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:09 AM

I have played with my grip a bit also and I does make a big difference.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:09 AM

I have played with my grip a bit also and I does make a big difference.