Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What should the pins on my bow be set to

Old 04-10-2004, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What should the pins on my bow be set to

The draw weight is about 55.
And there are 4 of them
Using this bow for turkey

Any sugestions
Old 04-10-2004, 03:28 PM

Default RE: What should the pins on my bow be set to

What ever you feel comfortable shooting. I would do 10, 15, 20, 25 but that is just me.
Old 04-10-2004, 03:35 PM
Typical Buck

10, 20, 30, and 40. This is pretty standard for a four pin set.
Old 04-10-2004, 03:37 PM

You won't find the answer here. You have to go out and see for yourself. Some people might go 20, 30, 40, 50 but you might only be able to go 10, 15, 20, 25. Everyone is different.
Old 04-10-2004, 04:32 PM

Trapper:

What yardage you set your pins at is greatly dependent upon what maximum yardage you can consistently shoot groups that are in the "kill zone" of the game you intend to hunt, and how flat your bow will shoot the arrows you use to a certain distance…although there ain't no such thing as a flat trajectory for an arrow.

Although I have never taken a shot at a turkey (I have at pheasants), if I were using a 55# bow, and arrows of an average weight for that particular poundage, and I was going to set the bow up to specifically shoot alert and grounded game the size a turkey, I personally would limit the maximum distance that I would shoot to 20 yards.

1. I would set my target at the ground-height of an average size turkey.

2. I would remove one pin to open the sight (view).

3. I would sight in the bottom pin at 20 yards.

4. Once I sighted in the 20-yard (bottom) pin, I would then, using the 20-yard pin, start moving forward to the target in 1-yard increments, shooting each time I moved forward.. each yard.

5. As I moved forward, I would begin to aim at the lower part of the "kill zone". When the arrow (20-yard pin) clearly started to move (vertically) OUT of the "kill zone," I would sight in the middle (2nd) pin.

6. Once the middle pin is sighted in, using the middle pin I would repeat steps 2 and 3. When the middle pin started to move (vertically) OUT of the "kill zone," I would sight in the bottom (3rd) pin.

7. If you find that your bow does not give you sufficient pin vs. distance coverage at a close range, you can install the 4th pin.

Using the described system should provide you a pin to yardage coverage from close and up to 20 yards. Once you are sighted in, you can pace off each pin to determine at what approximate yardage each pin is set at. I am a firm believer in using the "pace" system when setting up my bow. When I am in the "boonies" I do not use a tape measure or a range finder to determine distance.