Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bad News for Kansas Bowhunters

Old 04-09-2004, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bad News for Kansas Bowhunters

Get ready for unitized archery tags.... It looks like the state is doing away with the statewide archery tags and going to unitized archery tags. The legislation has already passed and the only person that can stop it is Kathleen Sebilius. And the chances of this liberal, anti, vetoing this bill is slim to none. This is a sad day for Kansas bowhunters.

All legislation to date has been designed to serve the interests of the big NR outfitters and allow individuals to profit off the deer, not to address the property and vehicle damages to their areas like they have been told they were. And remember that last year the majority of t-tags went to Unit 16(Pratt area), where this year they most likely will have 25% of all NR tags. The other two big recepients were Units 7-8(the Units addressed in HB#2668) and Unit 12 where all the commercial deer hunting push began. None of these areas even come close to the number of car/deer accidents that the urban corridor has each year.

By restricting archery tags for resident hunters this will prevent us from addressing issues like overpopulation problems that they have in their districts. Point out that the initial portion of SB#363 is to make it easier for NR hunters to come here(bypassing safety issues in the name of additional revenue)but then the new amendment to the bill will restrict their access to one Unit making it harder for them to find a place to hunt in Kansas. Hayden claimed this was to protect the resident outfitters, yet this will limit their ability to draw customers. They will only be able to draw NR hunters that have tags valid for their Unit. (Source from Bowsite.com)

All this will do is put more limits on us and slow the flow of revenue, which a lot of areas depend on. A prime example is myself. I hunt primarily around my county, but usually go to western Kansas for a week to hunt, along with my buddies. Now we won't be going. There goes a few hundred dollars that the remote rural areas depend on. It's sad the way KDWP has been acting lately. It's been one thing after another that makes no sense. And this time especially, it directly affects me. And for what? what good is coming out of any of it.?
Old 04-09-2004, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bad News for Kansas Bowhunters

I am sorry to hear that. I think it's a crock of BS.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:16 PM

It is indeed a sad thing to here that.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just wish there was something I could do. But there really isn't much. Except to get this message out to other Kansans to realize just how important even the state elections are.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

kshunter - I thought the popular opinion was to go with the unitized tags ? Reaons being, a landowner right outside KC can draw a NR t-tag, sell it on EBAY and the guy goes to western Kansas and hunts. Hypothetically, you could have 10 times the number of hunters going into a unit than tags that were meant to be used there, right ?

Maybe unitized tags for non-residents or for transferable tags would have been better ?

I will apply, and I have several landowner friends in western KS that I send money so they can apply for tags too so I am assured of hunting. This unit is almost all private, and not a bit time outfitter area (unit 1) so this new ruling might actually help me draw tags.

I do see your point, being a resident you're being restricted for something that is directly caused by nonresident hunters / outfitters.
Old 04-10-2004, 12:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

It looks like the state is doing away with the statewide archery tags and going to unitized archery tags.
Is it unitized for buck or doe? Having units is just a better way to manage the deer population. Having said that , in Wisconsin our units only pertain to doe harvests. We can legally shoot a buck anywhere. If Kansas is using units for buck harvests too , that is a crock!
Old 04-10-2004, 01:45 AM
Fork Horn

This is exactly why I have never tried to get a NR tag. I have alsways felt that the state of Kansas catreed to the commercialization of deer hunting (i.e. to the outfitters). I truley believe this is only going for the people who have money and not for the betterment of hunting or the deer herd. Until this continued policy changes I will not be purching a NR tag in Kansas period.
Old 04-10-2004, 01:46 AM
Super Moderator

When $ is involved, thats what decisions are based on......not always a good thing.[:'(]
Old 04-10-2004, 06:37 AM

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

When $ is involved, thats what decisions are based on......not always a good thing.[:'(]
You're right, it seems money is the motivation behind that! It is getting that way around here.
Old 04-10-2004, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will apply, and I have several landowner friends in western KS that I send money so they can apply for tags too so I am assured of hunting
So, stealthy, explain how this helps you be assured of hunting. Do the landowners apply for NR tags also, and then give you one if you don't draw, or what? I guess I don't understand how having them apply helps you be assured of hunting! Please explain!

Quick Reply: Bad News for Kansas Bowhunters

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.