Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bad News for Kansas Bowhunters

Old 04-10-2004, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bad News for Kansas Bowhunters

Stealthycat, it is true that it could happen that way. It would have been better to limit this rule to NR tags, almost completely because of the NR landowner transfer tag. But now if they can't draw the unit they normally hunt, then then probably won't go at all. With this type of a tag, it would help the public crowded lands out, but overall, less NR would come here, because of it being tougher to get a tag, so less money for KS.

I'm not sure about what sex the tag includes, but I'm assuming it'll be unitized buck and doe probably also.

Holwer, they could do it that way, but since they are a landowner, the landowner can buy up to 4 tags which can be transfered. So as long as stealthy hunts on the landowners land, and can have the landowner transfer a cheap tag to him, then he'll be assured. Back when Kansas had a draw and people got turned down, landowner tags were the way around it.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is my understanding that a landowner can only transfer a landowner tag to a lineal family member! Unless the landowner put in for NR tags, which cost him/her the same as the rest of the NR who apply. So, I was just curious how he would be assured of a tag, because a landowner applying for NR tags is not a sure thing!!
Maybe I've missed something with landowner tags, if so, fill me in!
Old 04-11-2004, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I see the same thing in my state with the money to be made by the PGC. CROSSBOLTS ARE ON THE WAY IN OUR ARCHERY SEASON. SAD[]
Old 04-11-2004, 11:05 AM

I am a landowner and a Kansas resident. I am also an avid hunter. Bowhunters in Kansas have had it too easy for too long. The bow season runs for months vs weeks for firearms. Bowhunters get to hunt the rut, its about over when firearms season opens. Firearms hunters are limited to units. Even as a landowner, I cant use my firearms tag for all my property because it is unitized and I own property in three different units. Also, I can enter the draw for a permit and sell it (does not have to be family members). You could, being the buyer of said permit hunt all over the state for months each season. I bowhunt (novice) and Ks bowhunters need to stop their constant whining and realize what a good thing they have even with unitizing.
Old 04-11-2004, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Also, I can enter the draw for a permit and sell it
Is that tag that you can draw for a NR tag or is there another tag that you can draw for and sell if you get it? And, I can't beleive that a landowner can't get a landowner tag and hunt any and all the land he owns, that should be changed too, IMO!
Old 04-12-2004, 06:36 AM
Typical Buck

bushwaker-I too am a landowner and resident. You can hunt all of your property with what ever means are legal if you will buy a hunt on your own land permit. It is good for only your land but is good for all seasons-bow, muzzle loader and rifle. As an avid bow hunter I don't like changing the laws to allow outfitters to get more permits at the expense of residents opportunity. My personal problem will be that I must decide to hunt my own property or my friends which is in another unit. You spoke of archers having it to easy vs rifle hunters and yet you admit to only being a beginner at bow hunting. Typically October is spent filling a doe tag or to while doing my intense scouting. November is usually the only time I see any good bucks and even then it is grap shoot to get a 20 yard shot at a board side to quartering away deer that is standing still. With a rifle it brings in ranges that are totally unthinkable for archery equipment thus making it much simpler to harvest a deer. Also fire arms season virtually shuts down all other hunting do to the sheer number of high powered rifles in the field. Firearms success rates are much higher in the 12 day season than are archery success rates. Also that end of December hunting really sucks after the rifle hunters have been out-it seems the deer totally disapear. The old system was a good system for everyone, but has slowly and steadily gone down hill as the out of state oufitters have got their foot in the door. Deer hunting will never be the same in Kansas as the reisidents are being moved out of the picture. It is all about money now and thats the way the legislature wants it.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Howler - Landowners can draw from the pool of non-resident tags then sell them to whomever they want to for whatever price. EBAY is loaded with tags in the fall. What this does is gets guys with land in NE or NW KS drawing tags, selling them to outfitters in South central KS and creating an imbalance. I'm lucky, I can use the system to my favor because I know landowner who'll draw for me. I hunt the same units the land resides in - so this new rule will not affect me.

I think archery season is longer and all becuase the sucecss rate is 10% vs 30-40% for rifle hunters (guesstimates) and theres tens of thousands more gun hunters.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Landowners can draw from the pool of non-resident tags then sell them to whomever they want to for whatever price
Yip, that's what I thought, and that was the first mistake KS made. I am also a landowner, although I live on the other side of the state line. But my family has plenty of land to hunt, so I've got several friends that like to hunt back there, but now it takes a few years to draw a tag, because of this very thing. Money wins out again.
The bow season runs for months vs weeks for firearms
Yip, and who do ya think kills more deer. Gun hunters or bow hunters? Would you rather let gun hunters hunt for a month or two, and the same for bow hunters. How long do ya suppose it would take for the gun hunters to put a serious dent in the herd numbers like that!! The longer bow seasons are found across the nation, for a reason, don't ya think!! And if you want to hunt the rut, fine with me, I'd rather hunt a little before prime rut or a little after the prime rut any day, but that's just me!
Bowhunters get to hunt the rut, its about over when firearms season opens
Who's doing the whining here?
We new that Sebilius wasn't going to be good for nothing, and she is provin' us right!
Old 04-12-2004, 06:31 PM

I am a Kansas Resident and Bowhunter, even with all the legislations being changed I will do the best I can with what I am allowed. I do not travel much to other areas to hunt so over all it will not affect me much. I will be upset if I cannot receive a tag, that is now going to someone out of state when my own family could be fed, yes.
But this is not all about me then is it?

The point is that over all the rewards for KS economy will be increased.
We live in a state where more than 65% of all residents live below the Poverty line.
If there can be more reavenue generated by out of state tags and hunting, plus see the population control receive a balance, I will be all for it.
If that is not the greater result then I would be glad to sign any petition and have it sent to Kathleen for protest of the bill.

Any takers?!?!?