Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How DO you get a person into bow hunting?

Old 04-09-2004, 11:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How DO you get a person into bow hunting?

That's right someone has to give him some help ,You might as well do it and maybe you'll find you'll think a little more which will make you an even better hunter.

nubo
Old 04-09-2004, 12:20 PM

Get him started early well before the season starts and it wont effect your hunting very much. Go as far as going into the woods with a camera so he can get the feel of sitting on stand and see if he likes it some people just don't have the patience to sit long hours in the woods.Help him scout a few hunting spots so he will be ready when the season starts and you wont have to show him to his stand. You never know might make a great hunting partner for life and it never hurts to have more help dragging when you kill one. Just be careful a friend of mine worked with a guy who had never been hunting but wanted to try so we helped him get started and he got hooked now his wife doesn't like us much.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:43 PM
Typical Buck

I agreed with others as well.

I'm speaking from experience. My friends tried to get me to join them during archery season. After couple of years, I gave in. I had a late start (probably June/July), and the season starts in September. I found this forum and started reading and also practicing in my backyard. That season, I have couple opportunities to shoot, but I didn't due to stupid mistakes (my movements). After that season, I got excited and started reading more and watching videos. My last two seasons have been successful. I'm looking forward to my fourth season this year.

Show him how to shoot and estimate the yardage. Then what to do when the buck/doe comes in (I feel that this is very important). It's not too late to start him now. Good luck.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:51 PM

Send him to the boards. If you don't have enough time for him then we can help.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

You have plenty of time to get him ready for season. If you are dedicated and can get him to practice with you, he'll be ready in time for season as long as he realizes what his limitations are. I think that's the most important thing.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:53 PM

Also you might not feel like getting him started but when he gets his first deer then you will feel good about yourself. You got him into hunting and that would be a reward to me.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:58 PM

Why not let him come hunting with you? How about bringing him a long scouting?

Set him up with a bow. Set him up with a target. Get him a membership to the local Club so he can shoot there, the workers can help him with form amd anyquestions he may have about shooting. Send him here, like myself and a few others have said, we can help him a little bit with the hunting aspect of things.

Send him to the local library for some books on Whitetail Behavior and Habitat, shoot, give me your address and I'll send him a couple of my books. Find out whether he wants to hunt from a blind, a stand, or spot and stalk. Whicher he wants to do, help him out as much as you can without feeling like you're waisting your time.

I don't know where I'd be if my dad hadn't taken the time out to help get me started. I'm sure it would have sucked. You didn't have that help and I'm sure you resented that fact quite often when you were starting out. Change that for this guy. So it takes some of your time, when he gets his first bow-kill you'll be plenty happy/proud for him. It will be well worth the effort.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks everyone for all the great advice. It makes me proud to be associated with people that hold the same passion in life - hunting. Yes, we may argue and not agree on everything out here, but the root remains - we are hunters at heart and share that passion.

This thread has encouraged me to want to help this guy. I think it'll be good for me too. In my fourth year of hunting, I met a guy that turned out to be my best friend and hunting buddy for the next 18 years (and couting). We helped each other and played off each others' successes and experiences, which made us both better hunters. It is a great sport, but to me it's also about sharing the experience of it all. Thanks again.