Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's the Best Block Type Target?

Old 04-08-2004, 03:04 PM

Default RE: What's the Best Block Type Target?

Black Hole sucks, brand new you still bury them to the feather.

HERE'S A QUICK FIX FOR THOSE CRAPPY BLOCK TARGETS. GET A COUPLE OF NYLON QUICK RELEASE STRAPS. WRAP THEM AROUND YOUR TARGET, AND CINCH THEM DOWN AS TIGHT AS YOU CAN GET THEM. THIS WILL TIGHTEN UP THE LAYERS ON THE INSIDE OF THE TARGET AND I'LL BET YOU A HUNDRED DOLLARS THAT YOU WON'T HAVE ANOTHER ARROW GO UP TO THE FLETCHINGS. LOOK AT THE BLACK HOLE TARGET THE ONLY THING HOLDING THE LAYERS TOGETHER IS SOME BLACK PLASTIC, HMMMM THINK ABOUT IT.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:25 PM
Typical Buck

The BLOCK! A very good target. IMHO.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

by the way the bock and the black hole are the same target, made by the same people, just the layers run different ways.
I bough the portable black hole last year and it worked well (i don't know how u can get a pass thru on a brand new one???). yes, the broadheads will cut them up a bit (once and awhile a small piece of layer will come out). overall I have been very happy with it. I love the portability of it. I think it will last fine. we shall see.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:50 PM

I will never buy A block again the best target I think is a mckenzie deer after you shoot out the front draw a bulls eye on the rump get another 1000 shots.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:50 PM
Fork Horn

I just buy a eleven dollar target from walley world and back it up with a bale of straw. When the middle starts to wear out I draw 3 inch circles around the edges and sometimes pin ballons in the center of the circles for fun and shoot away. Then I use the straw on the garden in the spring and start over in the fall. I can't see anything lasting for long shooting a lot of broadheads, that's why I use rocket mechanicals and have never had a problem, just check out my site.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:28 AM

For a cube style target, get the Block. I have the Block Outfitter size model and have put well over a thousand arrows into it. No problems. With broadheads, turn it so the foam layers are verticle. The broadheads don't seem to cut it up as much.
As far as deer targets, if you shoot heavy poundage stay away from the Mckenzies. If you use carbon it takes too much effort to pull the arrows out. Even with that lube stuff that goes on the arrow shaft.
I got the Glendel buck from Block, the arrows pull out much easier. My only complaint was that I was shooting through the vitals with my bow, I tightened down the layers more and it still happened. My proshop contacted the manufactuers and they sent me the new insert for free. This insert stops the arrows much better. My bow shoots 286 fps. with 560 grain arrows.
If money is no problem then the Rinehardt targets are the best period! I heard that they also make a cube style target, if they do I would look at that one.

bmott
Old 04-09-2004, 10:54 AM

What bow do you shoot Bmott?
Old 04-10-2004, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

another side not on good targets. where I work, we do hydroseeding (the green stuff you see along the side of the road) anyway, that green stuff is called fiber or hydromulch (it is basically shredded paper or wood products tightly compacted in a 50 lb. bale & dyed green). I forund last year that they are absolutely great for arrow targets. they stop arrows in less that 3-5" and you can literally pull the arrows out with your pinky & thumb. I used several last year as backing behind paper targets. I didn'yt use broadheads, but did shoot some practice muzzys at them with no problems. if you can get your hand on one, give it a try. they run about $10-15. you should be able to get a few years out of them (the plastic wraping begins to "dissappear" after many shots. also note that care should be taken to keep them a dry as possible - they are made to soak up water (not a big deal, untill you go to move it - the 50# becomes 120#) i left mine out all last fall and through the winter. best part is, I can use them this spring when we seed.
Old 04-10-2004, 06:38 AM

I have The Block and love it. I frist used camo arrows which were a bear to pull out. Went to regular carbon arrows and it made a big difference.
Old 04-10-2004, 07:47 AM

I have shot alot of different layered foam targets and guess what, they all wear-out. SIMPLE solution, when your arrows start passing thru, go get one or two cheap 1" rachet straps and cinch them around the target. The foam recompresses, almost good as new again.

Quick Reply: What's the Best Block Type Target?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.