Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's the Best Block Type Target?

Old 04-08-2004, 11:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What's the Best Block Type Target?

I would not recommend any block-type target with exposed blade broadheads. They always seem to chew it up quickly.

I have a Black hole and must admit that the arrows do bury themselves in quite far into the target though I have never had one bury up to the fletchings even in the shot-up section of the target.

I also had a block-type target...the cube maybe? It was about 3 feet by 3 feet and the arrows were a bear to pull out. You could shoot it on all 6 sides and I probably still would not have shot it out after 3 years. I donated it to the local club for use on their range. Price was around $80 when I bought it.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

My son and I have had pretty good luck with "the Block". We use it mainly with FP's but do use broadheads in the fall to get ready for the season. They are tough to get out sometimes but it sure beats using a hay bail.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

PA--stay 'away' from the Black Hole--I broke the strap on mine just about 2 weeks after I got it, but good old duct tape replaced the strap and to me, did a much better job.
The Block is good for field points, will last you a long time-- like someone here said, but broadheads will accelerate its destruction.

A good 'home made' target for broadheads can be made with the 'ends/left over pieces' from patio door screening--find a factory where they build the Patio Screening Doors---that screening stops anything--of course after a while you'll have to restuff or compress the screening a little. I use two burlap bags and stuff them with the screening and it works just fine and doesn't cost 1/4 the price of the block targets.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:26 PM

A Do-It Yourselfer

I like the idea, I might try making one just to see how well they work.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:54 PM
Spike

i just bought the block (pro size) from cabelas i think it is a great target and highly recommend it.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:26 PM

HERE'S A GOOD DO IT YOURSELFER. YOU GET 2 2X8'S CUT 36IN. AND 2 THREADED STEEL RODS WITH BOLTS AND WASHERS 24 TO 36 INCHES LONG DEPENDING ON HOW WIDE YOU WANT YOUR TARGET AND THEN YOU GET EITHER CARDBOARD OR OLD CEILING TILES AND CUT THEM INTO STRIPS OF 30INCHES LONG BY 7 INCHES WIDE AND THEN STACK THEM ON TOP OF EACH OTHER AND THEN COMPRESS THEM WITH THE 2X8'S. IT LOOKS JUST LIKE A LAYERED BLOCK TARGET AND IT STANDS UP ON ITS OWN. ANOTHER COOL THING IS THAT WHEN THE CARDBOARD OR CEILING TILES GET CHEWED UP YOU CAN JUST LOOSEN THE BOLTS AND REMOVE THE CARDBOARD AND REPLACE WITH FRESH STUFF. I SHOOT A BOWTECH EXTREME SOLO 63 LB. DRAW 28 IN. DRAW LENGTH WITH 390 GRAIN ARROWS AND IT STOPS MY ARROWS DEAD IN THEIR TRACKS. AS FOR BROADHEADS YOU HAVE TO CHANGE OUT THE CARDBOARD A LITTLE MORE OFTEN BECAUSE IT CHEWS IT UP PRETTY GOOD. HERE'S A PICTURE SO YOU CAN GET A LITTLE BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF HOW I MAKE IT.

Old 04-08-2004, 02:43 PM

THIS TARGET COST ME A TOTAL OF $7.27 FOR THE THREADED RODS, NUTS AND WASHERS AT HOME DEPOT. JUST A TAD BIT BETTER THAN SPENDING 50.00 TO 80.00 ON A BLOCK TARGET. AND YOU CAN LEAVE THIS ONE OUT IN THE WEATHER AND NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT IT. ANOTHER VARIATION TO THIS TARGET IS TO USE CARPET REMNANTS PLACED THE SAME WAY ONE ON TOP OF ANOTHER. I'M A LITTLE BIT SHADY ON THIS BECAUSE IT SEEMS TO ME THAT THE CARPET WOULD CHEW UP YOUR ARROWS PRETTY GOOD. THE CARDBOARD OR CEILING TILES WORK GREAT AND DOESN'T DAMAGE ARROWS.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:48 PM

I just bought the block 5 min ago.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:56 PM

[:@]HEY ZAK IF YOU HAVEN'T PUT ANY ARROWS INTO IT I WOULD TAKE IT BACK AND PUT YOUR MONEY INTO THE DO IT YOURSELF PROJECT ABOVE IT SAVES A WHOLE LOTTA MONEY. WITH THE MONEY YOU SAVE YOU COULD GO GET YOU SOME NEW ARROWS OR SOMETHING
Old 04-08-2004, 02:58 PM

I already did. I didn't see the thread with the do-it-yourself projects.

Quick Reply: What's the Best Block Type Target?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.