Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Before the short bow craz what was the

Old 04-04-2004, 07:27 AM

Default Before the short bow craz what was the

average leanth of a compound ?
Old 04-04-2004, 11:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Before the short bow craz what was the

46-48". Then Bear came out with a 44" model and the race was on.

It was funny.... last summer a former club member that had been away from archery since about '91 came out to the range to visit. He looked on the bow rack and said something about how happy he was to see so many kids' bows in the rack. Then he looked around and noticed there weren't any kids at the range that evening and he was getting the evil eye from a lot of guys.
Old 04-04-2004, 12:31 PM

LOL That is funny.

Yeah, I remember the good ol' days. 48 inch bow was the most accurate I ever shot (finger shooter). Probably the best bow I shot was a Browning Maxim. It was 43" long, straight riser, and recurve limbs. It was accurate, and fairly fast compared to what I was used to. It was shooting 31" 2514 shafts with 100 grain points at 230 fps. I made some unbelievable shots with that bow, then got caught up in the craze and sold it to get faster bows. BIG MISTAKE!!!!
Old 04-04-2004, 12:48 PM

If the reasons for producing short bows as given by the manufacturers are factual, these days there must be a lot of bowhunters that when in their treestand are bumping into tree trunks, smacking limbs, and just plain crowded. Additionally, the hype insinuates that the short bows allow the shooter to be quick on the draw.

Truth be known, being that the hype is nonsensical, the actual veiled reason for designing short bows is to use less material, build 'em cheaper (material amount), but sell the bow for the same price or more.

The problem is that many those short bows are getting into the hands of shooters that are novice to average shooters. If the hype for short bows becomes the preferred bow, it eventually will be very difficult to find a smooth drawing and good shooting long ATA bow.
Old 04-04-2004, 12:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

My old Hoyt ProVantage Tracer was definitely the most accurate bow I've ever shot. I was one of the first in Dallas/Fort Worth to get the hot new all-fastflight rigging technology Hoyt introduced. Won many trophies on the field archery and 3D circuit with that bow. It was 80 pounds, 48" axle to axle, 50% letoff E-wheels, shot 31.5" 2216's @ 230 fps on Hoyt's short 'fingers' overdraw, and it wouldn't let you make a bad shot. It was great when hunting in the thick stuff too, especially compared to my 68" recurve.

Even though those ProVantage risers had a reputation for breaking, it's still my all time favorite bow. I don't like my ProTec nearly as well, but it's practically as accurate. Most bows on the market today are a LOT faster, but they're much harder to shoot well.

So much for the stroll down memory lane.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:15 PM
Dominant Buck

I think my PSE Lazer Magnum is 49 inches.[&:]
Old 04-04-2004, 08:00 PM

COOL kids bows that is funny !
I just bought a Ovation & i got to tell ya I love how long it is BIG differance then my MQ32
It just feels so balanced like I really have something in my hand! I put them handle for handle the differance really is'nt that bad I can'nt see how i would be smacking things (limbs) only problem that I can see is trying to find a stablelizer that matches the new camo on the bow. everything i read says comp.bow reason why i posted the ? is I thought all the bows were long before.