Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Got my mount back (with a strange odor?)

Old 03-30-2004, 02:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default Got my mount back (with a strange odor?)

I just picked up my mount from this past bow season and it looks great. The only thing is that it has a peculiar odor to it. You can really notice it when I close the door to the bedroom all day and then come home and open it up and go in. Almost like something died my fiance says. Needless to say it is in the corner of the bedroom (above her side of the bed) across from the other mount I have that doesn't smell.
Is anyone familiar with taxidermy work that would know if it is some kind of preservative or something? What would I use to get rid of this smell without damaging the mount? Thanks
Old 03-30-2004, 02:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Got my mount back (with a strange odor?)

It's hard to say without smelling it, but if it smells dead, I'd take it back and question it. Fabreze will help, but I'd want to know the source before trying to cover it up. If done properly, there should be no smell, except for tanning oil.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:57 PM

[:'(]DEFINATELY SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING IS WRONG. I ASSUME YOU PAID AROUND 300 BUCKS SO I WOULD DEFINATELY TAKE IT BACK AND LET THE SHOP TAKE CARE OF IT.

Old 03-30-2004, 03:05 PM
Typical Buck

I agree. I would definitely be taking it back. There is a possibility that it wasn't completely fleshed out right. I don't know but I would be concerned. I have never had any of my mounts smell except a little tanning oil smell and that goes away soon. Good luck and let us know what you find out.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

maybe the smell of success
Old 03-30-2004, 04:54 PM

a mouse might have died in the mount... i would take it back and let them look at it....good luck...
Old 03-30-2004, 04:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree there shouldn't be any odour ith the mount ,i think I'd be asking some question's for sure.

nubo
Old 03-30-2004, 06:57 PM

sounds like he may have soaked the skins and let them sit too long before mounting them.

Check for slippage, this could cause it
Old 03-30-2004, 07:24 PM

I don't knwo what the smell might be either, could be bad tanning, letting the hide sit too long while wet, bad fleshing by taxidermist. If your taxidermist fleshed and tanned this hide himself it could be any of these. Im not sure what it could be if the taxidermist had it sent out to be tanned. Id take it back and ask your taxidermist what could be wrong.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:21 PM

http://www.taxidermy.net/forums/Begi...es/ULME6P.html

http://www.taxidermy.net/forums/Deer...1F33062F6.html

Quick Reply: Got my mount back (with a strange odor?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.