Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The more expensive the bow the better

Old 03-29-2004, 04:51 PM

Default The more expensive the bow the better

I know plenty of people who have Mathews and other top of the line bows. I have heard that it's not the bow that is accurate but the person. Where does this saying stop? If all bows are bows and it didn't make a difference on which bow was shot, accuracy wise, then why would someone spend $600+ on a bow when the $300 ones are just as "good". I can understand that a person picks the bow by the feeling but I'm sure that some of the people that have the top of the line bows could find a "cheaper bow" that feels good, if not better, in their hands. Why do you guys with the top of the line bows choose them over others. I can shoot 1/2 inch groups at 20 yards with my $300 PSE kit from Cabela's!
Old 03-29-2004, 06:44 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-29-2004, 07:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: The more expensive the bow the better

The average hunter probably will never notice the differance (accuracy wise) between a $300 kit and a $600 bare bow. With having said that there are definite differances and advantages in some of the more expensive bows if you are able to make good on them.

The Hoyt TEC risers are suppose to lessen any vibrations felt in the hand. Some have pivoting limb pockets which provide a better seat for the limbs to sit against. Some have paralell limbs that reduce felt vibration and shock. Some are machined risers while still some are cast. Some have the latest cam design. Some are machined to be extremely light while still offering good strength. Some come with good built in vibration dampening devices.

So, you see, all of this research and developement comes at a cost. Most likely a $300 kit bow will not have many of the latest innovations that most of the more expensive bows do.

This is not to say, in any way, that a $300 kit bow is not every bit a capeable "game getter" as any of the more expensive bows. They just don't come with all of the bells and whistles.

Think about buying a new Ford f-150 that has a V-6, straight bench seat, 5-speed transmission, AM-FM radio, and AC, 15" wheels and tires.

Now think about a Ford F-250 with a 500 hp V-8 diesel, leather bucket seats, automatic transmission, AM-FM, cassette, CD, 6 disk changer, AC, GPS navigation system, push button 4 wheel drive, 18" wheels and tires, towing package, powered and heated seats, total underbody coating, spray in bed liner, chrome bumpers and trim.

They both will get you there but the latter does it with more convenience, style and comfort.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Generally you get what you pay for. Better strings, machined (not cast) riser, better limbs, bearings (not bushings), etc. The higher end bows are more pleasurable to shoot in some cases, also. Less recoil, less vibration, quieter. You may also find that as distance increases, so will accuracy differences. I've owned some of the less expensive bows, and they shot fine. I now shoot high end bows and find them more to my liking. And yes, my shooting has improved.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

Not only is the bow better, but the amount of money you pay for your equipment is directly proportional to the size of animal you will kill with it! On the other hand, it is inversely proportional to the size of your manhood when you go around bragging about all the money you dropped on your hunting gear.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:00 AM
Typical Buck

I shoot a Mathews Outback, one of the high priced bows. Whether its Mathews, Bowtech, or Hoyt, their top of the line bows are expensive. Some of the reasons have already been mentioned, machined vs. cast, bearings instead of bushings, ect, ect. Now, sound travels at somewhere between 1000 and 1200 fps. No matter how fast your bow is, it's slower than that! So you better be thinking quiet. Quiet comes with smoothness, a little heavier arrow and all the other little things that goes into a bow.

That being said, I know a guy that still kills a doe or two with a compound he bought 25 years ago. (He wouldn't take that bow on a trophy hunt though)

And finally, why do I buy the best? Because I can.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

id say cheaper can be better
Old 03-30-2004, 03:21 PM

Not only is the bow better, but the amount of money you pay for your equipment is directly proportional to the size of animal you will kill with it! On the other hand, it is inversely proportional to the size of your manhood when you go around bragging about all the money you dropped on your hunting gear.

Love it!
Old 03-30-2004, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Generally you get what you pay for. Better strings, machined (not cast) riser, better limbs, bearings (not bushings), etc.
Agree!

That being said, I know a guy that still kills a doe or two with a compound he bought 25 years ago.
We all probably know a few folks who do great with outdated equipment.

And finally, why do I buy the best? Because I can.
I love it! Same here!
Old 03-30-2004, 07:45 PM

Bowfantic:

RE:
We all probably know a few folks who do great with outdated equipment.
Just curious. In your opinion, what must a bow have or not have, and be able to do or not do, to classify the bow as "outdated?" Do you apply the term "outdated" to all or most aspects of hunting purposes, or are you applying the term to mean that the bow is outdated for the purpose of self-popularity and self-prestige?

Also, being that we all know that it is the arrow that kills the deer, not the bow; if a bow is classified as outdated, does that mean that the bow cannot kill a deer, or kill a deer as efficient as a newer bow?

Quick Reply: The more expensive the bow the better

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.