Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The more expensive the bow the better

Old 04-02-2004, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The more expensive the bow the better

C903, I don't know which bow you might be referring to. I was and am presently shooting a Pearson Freedom. My all time favorite so far has been a McPherson 38" Special. Given my sinature I guess I should explain that I am waiting for my new Martin Slayr to arrive, which should have been today, but who knows. Yes, I don't shoot any junk. Bows or otherwise.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator

I love new equipment as much as anyone else but........ a good old well kept bow will put as much meat in the freezer or as big a rack on the wall as well as the latest and greatest.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:30 PM

I think it's just like computers and golf equipment. Every year something new comes out better than the year before. The marketers convince us that the one we have now won't cut it anymore. Sadly, most people, would rather chase thier tales buying equipment that makes it easier rather than improve their skills. There is no doubt in my mind that the new expensive bows are better, but I don't know that I need them. My honest opinion is that no way on this planet is a bow worth $600 - $1000.
The flip side to my opinion is the 3D shooter who competes and this is his main "thaing". For this person, they know what they need to improve thier skills and will spend the dough. For the average hunter like myself, it's hard to justify that kind of money. I believe in buying good quality equipment that will last and make clean ethical kills. I believe ANY of the bows produced today, regardless of cost, will meet that criteria.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:31 PM

Well in my experience, you get what you pay for. I am the person that must have the latest and greatest, and I don't mind paying for comfort and luxury in a bow. I shoot way too much to have a bow that I am not comfortable with. The more you shoot, the more you love the new technology that is in the new bows, like smoothness and less recoil.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:38 PM

I moved up from a Hoyt Cybertec to a Mathews LX, The difference is unbelievable. I shoot 30pts better at 3D's. I believe the LX is the best bow going(my opinion). I've worked hard all my life, and can finnaly afford the best, so I bought the best.
T.A.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:39 PM

I guess I can see what most of you guys are saying. But I guess I haven't been in the world long enough to remember 1975, or even the early 80's. I started with a Hoyt MT Sport, which I thought was HI-TECH(!!) when I started shooting. I remember bringing it home and bragging to everybody who came by the house. A lot of guys had old or older compound bows that looked archaic and like something that Robin Hood himself owned at once. Well, I thought I was the stuff and started ranting about that 'junk' that they had, and how much better my MT Sport was. We had a shooting match one time soon thereafter, let's just say I got whipped. Changed my thinking about those old 'junk' bows. I was astonished that those Bear Whitetails, Pacers etc could put arrows in the tight groups like that.

Since then I have moved on to higher end bows, mostly Hoyt, but a few Mathews, whatever feels good to me, and probably will always shoot the newer up-and-comings. But I have never lost my respect for the veterans of bowhunting and their 'vintage' equipment. As far as the higher priced bows, a well tuned $300 bow, shot by an experience archer, will kill a deer just as well as a well tuned $700 bow shot by the same fellow. If you can't shoot a bow to begin with, a $700 bow isn't going to make you a pro, 300 shooter. I think sometimes I end up paying a little more for the Hoyt or Mathews on the side of the bow than the materials that went into it. Admittedly, I like the high end bows, I'm a big fan of the Cam and a 1/2 system that Hoyt makes, but archery is my only hobby and I like to see and feel the new gear that comes out each year. Buy a new bow in January or Febuary, sell the old one on eBay in October and break even every time.

It's all in what you want to put into it. If you feel tough and dangerous carrying around the highest of the high, newest of the new bow and are willing to foot the bill - by all means go for it. That's what drives the economy. If you just want a basic, dependable bow - spend whatever it's worth to you. With practice and skill, you'll be just fine either way. But I'll never make fun of the older guys, I learned that the first time.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:50 PM

Bye the best if you can (Why Not)