Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The more expensive the bow the better

Old 03-31-2004, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The more expensive the bow the better

quote:

...but dont get edgy when you hear the snickers.
C903:
And there it is in a nut shell!

That simple statement clearly defines what the once popular sport of bowhunting is for many of today's bow owners.
Taken completely out of context. I see nothing wrong with buying top of the line equipment, and being proud of it. If someone asks to look at my bow, I'm more than happy to let them. They are also welcome to shoot any of them. But don't mistake this to mean people are thought less of based on the setup they shoot. That's never been the case with anyone I've ever met shooting bows.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:51 PM

Nothing was take out of context, let alone completely out of context. It is a simple matter of combining reading comprehension and totality of circumstances. The writing has been on the wall for a very long time. Apparent as the skin on your face.

I too see nothing wrong with a person buying top of the line equipment… if that is what that person desires to do or believes is necessary, and being proud of it. However, with too many, the pride factor has escalated to the level of being monotonously obnoxious and nose-in-the-air, believing and espousing that high-priced gear is a necessity for bowhunting and that anything less is used by those other people.

Truth is, there is very little advantage had from much of the new gear, but a lot of downside when in the hands of the average shooter. In some areas of bowhunting, there are no advantages whatsoever. To sum it up; most of the stuff is overkill.

It goes without question that person can spend his or her money as he or she wishes. I just want to send a message to the person thinking about getting into the sport, the novice, and the shooter that still hunts with an "outdated" bow. Do not buy into the bunk (propaganda)! You do not need a new Corvette just to run down the street to the neighborhood grocery store.

Use good solid gear and put your emphasis on hunting. If it is true that you have to have a Bowtech, a Mathews, a Hoyt, etc. to do the job, I had better find a way to resurrect all the deer and other game I killed with recurves.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Double Creek

POINT: They all get the job done, but some are easier, faster, quiter, nicer, etc.
Ditto
Old 03-31-2004, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

However, with too many, the pride factor has escalated to the level of being monotonously obnoxious and nose-in-the-air, believing and espousing that high-priced gear is a necessity for bowhunting and that anything less is used by those other people.
I deffinately have to agree with you there! Unfortunately I see it all the time.[:@] I actually enjoy watching someone come in with the old equipment , listening to the snickers , then watching the snickers turn to amazement when the guy starts shooting circles around them.

I hope you didn't take my reply to mean I was one who felt the new most expensive equipment is a must! I surely don't!

However , pertaining to the equipment I gave as scenarios for my definition of "outdated" , they do have obvious limitations when compared to new bows (not most expensive). The guys I mentioned both have 20 yard maximum limits when shooting at deer due to experiences with jumping the string. You have to admit , those older bows sound like cannons compared to new ones (not most expensive) and are much slower. They both have to aim a few inches lower than their intended target when shooting from treestands , I prefer to aim at what I expect to hit. The older equipment still gets the job done , I feel the newer equipment just reduces your limitations.

Now back to the topic , "The more expensive the bow the better"? In some of the scenarios given above , yes! Will the cheaper ones have the same end result? Yes! Will the cheaper ones have more limitations than the more expensive ones? In most cases , No!

Imo , bows cost way too much money! But , it is what it is. I made this years purchase (as I always do) based on my own personal comfort with the bow I choose. If I found one that fits my comfort zone for a few hundred bucks cheaper (dont care what name it has on the limbs) I'd be giggling all the way to the bank.

Btw , c903 you didn't answer my question.

Do you still wear a leisure suit?
Old 03-31-2004, 06:22 PM
Dominant Buck

I can't argue with out dated eqyuipment and bow cost. I hunted my bow for 13 years. It's hard to give up when your killing deer. As far as expensive equipment goes it doesn't matter when you factor in the years you will have it and being able to pass it along to your kids and grandchildren.

I ask you all how many of you have or have seen old guns and bows that have been passed down?
Old 03-31-2004, 06:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

That one person spent $350 on a bow and another spent $650, does not mean that the man buying the more expensive bow is being frivolous. For heaven's sake its only a few hundred bucks difference. In the whole scheme of things that is not that much money to spend on a sport that you enjoy so much.

In a way it reminds me of guys complaining about an extra $5 when fishing license fees go up. "I can't catch enough fish to make it worth it for me to buy a license." As if you don't spend a ton of money on tackle, bait, lures, a boat and so on.

Aside from an arrow that is quality from tip to nock, and a good release, what other piece of gear is more important than the bow itself? Your grunt call? Your hat? (Well maybe if its a Mathews hat)

Buy whatever you want, spend as much as you please, and let those guys see if they can "shoot circles" around you with their older bow (as if an newer bow with less vibration and/or torque wouldn't improve their archery somewhat.) Even if they can, you won't enjoy a quality high-end bow any less.

Enjoy yourself. Buy the best equipment you can afford...which is always a good idea anyway...and remember, you only go around once.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:04 AM

"....as if an newer bow with less vibration and/or torque...."
That is a belief that appears to be common with many shooters shooting newer bows with certain advanced features. The claim is often stated in various ways, directly or implied, that all earlier compound bows are loud, vibrate like crazy when shot, had mucho post-shot shock, and had an automatic torque problem even if you did not have your hand on the grip. WRONG!

I still have four earlier model compounds that have none of these problems. In fact, the early PSE "Pacer" (circa 1975) 60# w/50% letoff that is hanging downstairs is easy to shoot and is basically quiet.

The reason that many of today's bows have certain anti and preventive "this and that" features is not JUST because the innovation is some type of advanced idea just to improve handling and shooting over earlier bows; many of the so-called modern features are somewhat necessary to offset the downsides (shock, vibration, noise, etc,) that the radical designs and high-speed bows of today produce. It is a "Catch-22" situation.

Someone said something about passing down one of today's bows to the next generation in their family. After many of today's high-energy fire burners have had a several years of shooting on them, I do not believe many will be worth passing down or safe to shoot.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:48 AM

Think about buying a new Ford f-150 that has a V-6, straight bench seat, 5-speed transmission, AM-FM radio, and AC, 15" wheels and tires.

Now think about a Ford F-250 with a 500 hp V-8 diesel, leather bucket seats, automatic transmission, AM-FM, cassette, CD, 6 disk changer, AC, GPS navigation system, push button 4 wheel drive, 18" wheels and tires, towing package, powered and heated seats, total underbody coating, spray in bed liner, chrome bumpers and trim.
CAN O' WORMS!!!!!! OR... you could think about buying an old beat up Chevy and it'd be ten times better than any new Ford. Uh oh... I know I'm gonna regret saying that. Just pokin' fun, owned WAY too many Fords to like them any more But, this is beside the point. IMO, you're gonna get what you pay for 9 times out of 10 with a more expensive bow. I'm a typical lower-middle class, working man, that loves to hunt. I myself can't afford a real nice bow... I gotta save for a few years before I buy a top-end one. Right now I'm shooting a Jennings AirMaster and at the time I bought it, it was a high quality bow and I couldn't afford a Matthews. But on the other side of that, I know that there are expensive bows out there that I myself cannot shoot. When I was shopping for my new bow, I picked up some that were in the $600+ range and I just couldn't get comfortable holding them. So, there is something to be said for comfort, as far as I'm concerned. I don't believe that you should go out and buy the most expensive bow on the market JUST because it's the most expensive. What I'm trying to say is: If you aren't comfortable with the way the bow feels and shoots, your accuracy is going to suffer. But generally I feel that: Yes, the more expensive the bow, the better it's going to be. Okay, now y'all can bash me for being a Chevy lover!

P.S. The main reason I am a Chevy lover is because my brother's truck is a Chevy. That truck is the one thing that both my parents agreed that I should have. Now I am a die-hard Chevy fan because that Chevy costed me more than every truck that every person in this forum owns, put together. That truck cost me a brother... He died two years ago, almost to this day. After the funeral, my parents (who had a bitter divorce 12 years ago and still refuse to talk) came to me and said, "John, we both think that Mike would've wanted you to have his truck." My brother fell down some steps (tripped over his own feet, happens to all of us), hit his head, and died about 20 hours later... he was 19 at the time. Keep on huntin' up there Mike... God keep you safe until the day comes when we'll hunt together again.
Sorry, it's getting onto that time of year and his death still hits me pretty hard. When this mood hits me I tend to ramble...
Old 04-01-2004, 03:06 AM

johnkeltgen:

Sincerely sorry for your loss of your brother, especially being so young and the way he died. I have lost two brothers in the last 30+ months, and both had been, seemingly, in reasonably good health. Both were avid sportsmen and we spent a lot of time together.

They still go hunting and fishing with me.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:25 AM

Thanks a bunch c903! To me, there aren't many things harder than losing a sibling, as they are your best friends growing up. I wasn't looking for sympathy, just explaining my Chevy comment... but thanks... it's a big help. And yes, my little brother is also there with me, guiding my shots on every hunt.

Quick Reply: The more expensive the bow the better

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.