Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The more expensive the bow the better

Old 03-30-2004, 08:15 PM

Default RE: The more expensive the bow the better

And finally, why do I buy the best? Because I can.

I love it! Same here!
Yup....thats about the only answer needed
Old 03-30-2004, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just curious. In your opinion, what must a bow have or not have, and be able to do or not do, to classify the bow as "outdated?" Do you apply the term "outdated" to all or most aspects of hunting purposes, or are you applying the term to mean that the bow is outdated for the purpose of self-popularity and self-prestige?
Your asking for my opinion of outdated?

Fair enough , my opinion of outdated is my buddies Bear Whitetail hunter , which he kills deer every year with. Kudos to him! I guess my definition of outdated would also include another buddies Ben Pearson 12 ga magnum w/wooden limbs, wooden riser and old style energy wheels the size of half dollars , which he also kills deer with. Kudos to him also!
I've got absolutely nothing against outdated equipment in the hands of good archers.
That pretty much sums up my definition of "outdated" equipment. Pretty much the same as "outdated" clothes. You can wear what you want , but dont get edgy when you hear the snickers.

You still wearing leisure suits c903?
Old 03-30-2004, 10:07 PM

...but dont get edgy when you hear the snickers.
And there it is in a nut shell!

That simple statement clearly defines what the once popular sport of bowhunting is for many of today's bow owners.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:27 PM

I have a Mathews Q2XL. I love the way this bow shoots, feels, and looks. I will also admit that I did not need to purchase such a high-end bow. My reasons, whether they are right or wrong are as follows:

I believe in buying products right the first time.
I prefer to make purchases with well respected companies that offer lifetime warranties on their products, i.e Mathews, Hoyt, etc.

I'm in my early 30's and made the purchase with the intent of not having to purchase another bow again if possible (company closing, or fault of my own).

I feel many people view making purchases the same way, whether it be bows, boats, cars, watches, etc (You see my point).

So to answer the question, No I do not believe from a strictly functional standpoint that the higher-end bow are worth the significant price differances with the mid-range or even some low end models. As stated above, you do gain some bells and whistles.

To each their own, that's what makes the world turn.

Thanks and good hunting!!!
jt
Old 03-31-2004, 05:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think several folks summed up my opinion above. Almost all bows on the market today are entirely functional. They will shoot the arrow as well as the idiot behind the string allows them to. Many folks do not possess the skill or desire to shoot as well as their bow can potentially be shot so the extra tight tolerances, newest designs and bells/whistles will mean little. However, some folks can and do take advantage of the "latest and greatest" most likely, as mentioned above, because they can. I think it also depends in large part on the application you plan on using the bow for. Some archery activities require higher levels of accuracy to be successful and thus require bows that are more well manufactured and use superior materials. For the average bowhunter a cast magnesium riser bow with solid limbs and simple cams would probably do just fine.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

The more expensive the compound the better...

I've got a room in my house that contains a number of antique, outdated compounds. Despite their high dollah price tags, despite the fact they all shoot just as well as the day they were made, they're practically worthless. I like to drag one out to the range on ocassion and beat the crap out of guys shooting the latest greatest whizbang bows. It's SO satisfying.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:29 PM

JUst got started into bowhunting before going into the corps, i am getting out in three weeks and am going back home to arkansas. I want to pick up a bowtech as soon as i get home, but not a hole lot i wonder if it will be an over kill for a first time by.

I keep looking a lower end bows because they are cheaper to start with, but at the same time i want a bow that will last and i will be happy with for a long time to come. what to do?
Old 03-31-2004, 02:01 PM

It all depends[8D]
Old 03-31-2004, 02:29 PM

It depends on your definition of "Better". For instance, do you think a Lexus is "better" than a Yugo? Do you think Magnus Broadhead is better than a chipped stone?

POINT: They all get the job done, but some are easier, faster, quiter, nicer, etc.

Don't be mistaken though, a $300 kit bow and $700 bare bow are 2 entirely different beasts.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Also, being that we all know that it is the arrow that kills the deer, not the bow; if a bow is classified as outdated, does that mean that the bow cannot kill a deer, or kill a deer as efficient as a newer bow?
I think it means the same thing as it does when used to describe computers. It doesn't mean the computer will no longer work, it simply means that newer, faster, more efficient equipment has come out.

Quick Reply: The more expensive the bow the better

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.