Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Upgrading my Bow

Old 02-15-2002, 01:11 PM

Default Upgrading my Bow

I am a "advanced beginner" bowhunter who is looking to upgrade to new/better bow. I currently use a two cam golden eagle compound manufactured about 12 years ago. It is not realy fast. Any suggestions from more experienced hunters on what type of bows are good to consider and why would be much appreciated.
Old 02-15-2002, 01:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Upgrading my Bow

welcome to the board Jack
there are a lot of good bows on the market and to say this one is better than that one would not be putting you in the right direction.
Go to as many bow shops as you can and shoot as many bows as you can then work out which one felt the best to you and in your comfort range.
Once you have narrowed it down to "X" amount of bows go and shoot them again just to make sure.
Just take your time and make the right choice dont just buy the first bow you try because there will probably be doubt in your mind that it is not really the bow for you.
Old 02-15-2002, 02:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Aussie-guy pretty much covered it. Shoot as many bows as you can and pick the one that feels/shoots best for you. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Old 02-15-2002, 03:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome to the board Jack! As the others said try as many as you can before you decide. I just upgraded from a 12 year old Bear Whitetail II. I ended up with a Martin Jaguar Magnum. It is a great bow for the money! Good luck on the new bow!
Old 02-15-2002, 03:46 PM

Jack,
I am in a similar situation in that I am getting back into bowhunting and thus need a new bow also. I think I (we all) could help more if you give us some specifics to narrow things down: Price range? Speed? Axle to Axle length? Any other things you know that you would like. Also, will you consider any brand or are you limited by local dealers?

The main thing I've found so far in my search, and you will too, considering the bow you are using now, most bows you look at will be a dramatic improvement simply from a technology standpoint.

Edited by - 270bolt on 02/15/2002 16:47:14
Old 02-15-2002, 04:42 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-15-2002, 09:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep......270 hit on a VERY important point.
Don't jump at the first bow you shoot, because pretty much EVERY bow on the market is going to make your old one seem like yesterday's news......no offense to your trusty first bow, it's just the state of technology today.

Understand that and you won't be stuck with a bow that you THOUGHT was great, only to learn that you should have tried a few more a month down the road......these things have crappy resale value so do it right the first time.
If you can shoot a bunch that's great, but some shops don't have bows that you can shoot......if you can't find a shop that will help, try a local shooting range and hover around and ask questions. Most guys will be nice and probably offer to let you fling a few arrows out of their own bows.

Just take your time and find one that you are really happy with....regardless of what I or anyone else recommends.
A good pro-shop fitting wouldn't hurt either....just don't let that pro-shop PRESSURE you into a certain make/model. I've been in shops like this and wanted to brain the "Pro". Let him know that you want to see a bunch before you decide, and if he is a good guy (you'll be able to tell) give him your business if you can, a GOOD shop is your best friend.
Old 02-18-2002, 09:35 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Jack,
I am in a similar situation in that I am getting back into bowhunting and thus need a new bow also. I think I (we all) could help more if you give us some specifics to narrow things down: Price range? Speed? Axle to Axle length? Any other things you know that you would like. Also, will you consider any brand or are you limited by local dealers?

The main thing I've found so far in my search, and you will too, considering the bow you are using now, most bows you look at will be a dramatic improvement simply from a technology standpoint.

Edited by - 270bolt on 02/15/2002 16:47:14
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>