Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Peanutbutter Cups

Old 03-25-2004, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default Peanutbutter Cups

I was talking to a saloon owner the other day about all the bucks he has on his walls, eight total all 120"- 190" all shot with bow. A few beers later [ had to losen him up a
little] I asked him what his secret was, he said my peanutbutter cups. The guy
takes 2" pvc 8" long puts a bottom on the pipe a screw on top, he puts a eye hook in the
screw on top then he drills a 1" hole a inch from the bottom and stuffs it full of peanut butter, he hanks it on a tree with another hook so it swings freely. The deer go nots trying
to lick the peanut butter out of this thing. The reason he lets the thing swing on a hook
instead of straping it down is the deer are paying more attention to trying to get there
tung into the swinging hole then him by then its to late. Im going to build me some
swinging peanutbutter cubs. He also said he puts them out 1-2 days before he hunts
a stand.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Peanutbutter Cups

I got to say that sound's very interesting ,and just maybe a good idea if it work's then try it .I just might try that myself ,it's kind of a feeder for them.
I guess by putting it in the bush a couple of day's previous to hunting lets the buck's know it's there and since they just can't eat it right up they'll keep coming back knowing where it is . REALLY sound's like a good idea .

nubo
Old 03-25-2004, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just be careful how close you place it to your stand, as that also will bring in the peanut butter 'Bees & Wasps" and that's when the fun starts.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Alot of animals in the woods love peanut butter. I used to put a jar of peanut butter on a tree and cut out the bottom for the deer. It would take less than a week before it was completely cleaned out. I'm sure deer used it but I would be willing to bet squirrels and coons hit on it too. That sounds like a great idea you have. I would think it would keep smaller critters from getting the PB. It would also make for a good spot for a trail cam to get some pics of the deer in the area.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:31 PM

Chunky or plain?

In many states, the method would be considered baiting and would be unlawful to hunt over or near.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, that would be considered baiting here in PA. Sounds interesting, though. I think I will try this near my salt blocks.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:04 AM

My dad went bear hunting up in Maine last year, and the guide there told him that is his secret for getting the deer to come to a spot. This guy said he hangs it just high enough for the deer to have to stand up to reach it, and he said sometimes its pretty funny to watch.