Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

would you "fix" a broken point on a buck you shot ?

Old 03-25-2004, 11:39 AM
Typical Buck

Default would you "fix" a broken point on a buck you shot ?

I shot a pretty nice 8-pointer with my bow in November, a 2.5 or 3.5 year old buck. Well after I got up to him, I noticed he had broken his right G-2, he has about an inch of antler left. He is currently at the taxidermist getting mounted. I originally decided to have him mounted the way he was when I shot him, with the broken tine. But now I am kind of considering having my taxidermist "repair" the tine, since my buck did have about 6 to 7 more inches on the tine. What would you do? Would you think less of the buck since I repaired it? Should I keep it the same as it is, maybe he broke the tine in a wild buck fight? I am 65% keeping it the way it is, but it will look a little bigger and "prettier" with a symmetrical rack. Keep in mind he did have the point, I am not adding points and would never do such a thing. Just looking for some friendly advice. Thanks guys. PS I added some pictures of the buck about 12 posts down
Old 03-25-2004, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: would you "fix" a broken point on a buck you shot ?

A broken tine or any other abnormality - to me - adds character.

I would keep it as is - IMHO
Old 03-25-2004, 11:49 AM

Nope......I'd leave him just the way he was when I was lucky enough to put a arrow through him !!
Old 03-25-2004, 11:55 AM

If you're adding tines, what's the difference, add a few extra while you're at it. Maybe a drop tine?
Old 03-25-2004, 12:00 PM

I'd leave it as is. I would think less of it if you did have it added back on. My thought is, is that if it didn't have it when you shot it....it shouldn't have it. Not to rip on you, but what your saying is that your not happy with the buck you shot so you going to try and make it better. IMO, that's not right. Good luck with your decision.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:10 PM

A broken tine or any other abnormality - to me - adds character.

I would keep it as is - IMHO
My thoughs exactly.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:17 PM

Keep it as it is. Thats what I would do anyway.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

If will make that big of a difference in the mount, I would probably fix it.

Not to rip on you, but what your saying is that your not happy with the buck you shot so you going to try and make it better
Why not fix it and show the deer in its full glory?

My thought is, is that if it didn't have it when you shot it....it shouldn't have it
What if he had it when you shot it, but not after you found him? I shot one that broke of the tip of his brow tine when I shot him. When he ran into the tree, he was still alive. I have since dug the tip out. The tip is about 1/2" long. I didn't have it fixed just because it was so small and it is somewhat of another memory of the hunt.

I could really go either way in the whole matter, depends on the unique circumstances of the whole situation surrounding the deer and the harvest.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:26 PM
Typical Buck

You guys are right. However, my taxidermist told me he would probably repair the tine because the buck originally had it. He says he does it all the time. Like I said, I was and still am 65% going to keep him with the broken tine, I am not adding points and never would consider it. This buck did originally have the tine. What if the tine broke after he crashed into a tree after you shot him. He wasn't dead yet, would you repair the tine?

I know I'll end up keeping him with the broken tine, was just curious to see what your opinions were.

But thanks for being such a smart-a$$ 6ptsika. Makes you look like a real jerk.

Thanks to those of you who actually read my post. I appreciate the friendly advice.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:37 PM

I killed a 7 point this year that was missing a brow tine. I thought about adding one to make it symmetrical.

Really. I see no problem if he had it before. It is up to you. Noone will kow the difference.

Quick Reply: would you "fix" a broken point on a buck you shot ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.