Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

would you "fix" a broken point on a buck you shot ?

Old 03-27-2004, 09:37 PM

Default RE: would you "fix" a broken point on a buck you shot ?

I believe the rack would look very nice with the point fixed. Think about it hard, but don't waste to much time on it and go with what you REALLY wan't not what everyone here tells you to do. Just don't have any regrets, its a very nice buck either way
Old 03-27-2004, 10:02 PM

I prefer to see a buck as it was when he was killed...........if you don't have pics of the deer like mentioned already you are assuming that his tine was equal.......when in reality it could have been any length, maybe even longer then it's opposite match.

The buck I am having mounted right now has a spot under his eye where a slug ripped the flesh and it is just hanging there. The taxidermist told me he can sew it together no problem so I said fine, but I told him that if he has any trouble with it to just leave it because I think it adds even more to the story..........he also had a broadhead slice on his stomach. That makes 2 guys at least that couldn't seal the deal on him........and it's just a cooler story then "Hey look at my deer"

Like people have said already. It doesn't really matter what I or anyone else thinks. He is gonna be on YOUR wall and YOU will have to look at him every day. If YOU are ok with it then do it. Anyone who tries to criticize you for it is most likely just jealous.

Congrats......no matter what you do.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:27 PM

Its your mount, if it bothers you have it fixed. Just bring the point to a more natural tip. I have several friends that have done the same thing. I also know plenty of guys with boar mounts that have tusks added. You're the one that will be looking at the mount for years.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:26 AM

If it's not broken don't fix it.------------------ It's broke, fix it.. Your not adding a tine. It already them before what ever happend to it. There are all sorts of ways they can make a deer look bigger with the mount, but just making it look like it did before it broke isn't cheating in my book. IMO.