Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

would you "fix" a broken point on a buck you shot ?

Old 03-25-2004, 12:38 PM

Default RE: would you "fix" a broken point on a buck you shot ?

I see no problem in fixing it

Its your deer, your kill - do what you want with it.

If I took one with a big main tine missing - and I thought it would look better "as it grew" I could see myself fixing it.

If half a rack was missing I would probably leave it - because who knows what it really looked like.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:38 PM

I would probably replace it, especially on a nice, symetrical rack that was missing that one tine to make it perfectly symetrical. That's just me though. My buddy has one where he fixed the tine. THe cool thing is ( I know this will sound weird) is that he did a bad job on it, so you can tell what it would look like with the tine but it's not like he's trying to cover it up and make you think it is really there.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know what I'd do. At first I want to say I'd leave it as is. However I have had a fish touched up when one of its fins was messed up. Basically the same thing.

There was also a buck that I spined, and in the melee to quickly get another shot into it, I shot one side of his rack off. It was a smallish buck and i repaired the rack myself with some wood putty and stain. But I had caused that blunder, the deer was intact with the 1st arrow.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:00 PM

It is a personal call.

PS: Don't be so sensitive. I believe "6ptsika" was just being humorous. You did ask for opinions.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:19 PM
Typical Buck

maybe you are right c903, i just kind of took it offensive. here is a pic of the buck i'm talking about

Old 03-25-2004, 01:23 PM
Typical Buck

here is another

Old 03-25-2004, 01:55 PM
Typical Buck

Fix it! What about if you had the deer home, and for some reason you broke a tine off? If a deer had it, than there is no problem fixing it. Of course, don't make it longer than the other matching point.
Old 03-25-2004, 02:18 PM

That is definitely a very nice buck. Like some have said, it's your buck do what you like. I personally like racks with character...the more the better. That's why I thought leave as is.

Il_BOW_MAN,
What if he had it when you shot it, but not after you found him?
That kind of goes back to what I just said. It gives the buck some or more character and like in your case, you have a great story to tell as to why it's missing. I doubt you get sick of telling that story...I wouldn't. It's a good one. Or you could drill a little hole in the tine and then put a piece of rope around it and hang it from it's neck. Whitetail jewelry. LOL

Good hunting...
Old 03-25-2004, 02:22 PM

IMO if you don't like the head gear the deer is sporting let him go, Someone will like him just as he is.
Old 03-25-2004, 02:28 PM

portable ladder- Your question made me put myself in your situation and really think about how I would handle this... My first impulse would be to repair the broken point, but after thinking about it a little more, I came to the conclusion that I'd leave it alone. The reason being that anytime somebody came over and saw the deer, I would have to tell the the story of how I chose to get one of the points fabricated... yada, yada, yada. This might cause quite a distraction and won't allow you to just enjoy your mount (maybe I'm looking too far into this!)

Even if you decide not to have it fixed for now, you could always add the point at a later time if you'd like.

Good luck with it.

Quick Reply: would you "fix" a broken point on a buck you shot ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.