Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

An extra half inch?

Old 03-22-2004, 04:32 PM

Default An extra half inch?

I got an awsome deal on a dozen arrows this weekend, $40.00! I couldn't pass it up, they were the same arrows I've been shooting, only camo, and wouldn't you know it I was planning on pickingup some hunting arrows here real soon.

I shoot a 32" arrow. Normally I don't have to cut them, they come out of the box at 32". I thought these did too. I held them up to my other arrows, after being stupid and gluing the inserts in, and of course, they're a half an inch longer than my other arrows.

Will this effect my shooting? These are Gold Tip Hunter arrows (Graphite).

If they will effect my shooting, how much? Will I have to completely retune everything?

Can the graphite be heated up to remove the insert without messing the arrow up?

Should I tear the fletching off of all 12 and cut the ends, then refletch?

Help!!

Thanks in advance everyone!

Dan.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: An extra half inch?

Wash., a question. why do you need 32" arrows with a 29" draw? Its obvious your rest is setting about normal as to what most hunters use. Am I right in suspecting your arrows sit 3 to 3.5" in front of the rest? If so, all you need is an inch.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:59 PM

Ditto what cougar said.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:04 PM

You know, I wondered that myself when I bought them. I took the arrows, bow, everything with me to the shop at my local Sporting Goods store to have my arrows cut and get their help in tuning my bow. They tell me to put a nock in and draw the arrow back so that they can mark off where we should cut them. I do. They say I don't need to cut them. This is my first year with a compound so naturally I take their word for it. I start tuning my bow, it's shooting bullet holes, I'm sticking them in a 6" circle at 50 yards, and tearing vanes right and left. I may not NEED it, but it doesn't seem like much of a hinderance.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

If you shoot well, no problem.

But I was asking because if your draw length is truly 29", you don't need full length arrows.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

32" arrow and 29" draw. That got my attention too. [:-] I have a 33.5" draw on my compound and shoot 32.5" arrows.

Oh well... Answer to your question is, the extra half inch won't affect anything. That's assuming the 32" arrows you've been using aren't on the raw edge of their spine range.

But I would suggest for you to visit a different pro shop and see what they say about your arrow length because something is very screwy somewhere.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:21 PM

Well, we only have one actual Pro shop here in Spokane that I know of. I refuse to go to them. poor, customer service, the owner is a jerk, and they want to charge $300.00 a year for a membership... I just won't go there.

I went to the Archery Department/ Mini pro shop at our sporting goods store.

Will it mess up my arrows to heat them up and pull the insert?
Old 03-22-2004, 05:30 PM
Fork Horn

If you're going to try heating them I'd cut them first then just heat the cut off piece, that's useless anyway.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Wash., although I shoot now carbons, I no longer have a saw so I had mine cut at the shop and used epoxy to glue my inserts in. At least in my case I would not try to remove my inserts.

In my honest opinion..........find a shop or someone experienced and good that you know and have them remeasure your arrows as you are at full draw. IF your arrows are hanging past the rest by 3-4", get them cut off about 3/4"-1" past your rest using an arrow cutoff saw. Then glue in new inserts or have them glued in for you. Make sure they are cut off with a good arrow cutoff saw or those carbons will be splintered and cracked!
Old 03-22-2004, 05:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I went to the Archery Department/ Mini pro shop at our sporting goods store.
That explains much!

I'd suggest going to some of the bow manufacturers' websites and look at their dealer listings. Find some pro shop that's close enough to visit once in awhile. There's got to be more than one shop in your neck of the woods. Even if you have to head across the border into Idaho, a trip to a good pro shop will be well worth a drive.

Quick Reply: An extra half inch?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.