Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

BOWHUNTING "BAD HABIT"

Old 03-20-2004, 06:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default BOWHUNTING "BAD HABIT"

I am an avid bowhunter, and was wondering if chewing tobacco in your bowstand will alarm deer.I know I should quit, and I know that they may smell it, but will it alarm them?I haven't chewed in stand yet, but was curious on the subject. Any experienced "bowhunting chewers" out there?
Old 03-20-2004, 06:58 PM

Default RE: BOWHUNTING "BAD HABIT"

I know some people that did and they got some nice bucks.
Old 03-20-2004, 07:30 PM
Typical Buck

I forgot to add smoking.My father has killed many huge bucks and is an avid smoker and believes that smoke does not bother mature bucks, or any deer for that matter. Foolishness?I love my father dearly, but hard to believe it is something other than sheer luck.
Old 03-20-2004, 07:38 PM

I chew in my stand and never noticed any reactions to it. My brother in-law smokes menthol cigs while hunting and sees more deer than anyone I know.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not only does it not spook deer, I think it attracts them out of curiosity.
One of the funniest times I ever had in the woods was when Big Country and I were on our lease in Illinois in archery season. we were on stand out of sight of one another but in earshot. I'm on stand and I hear this gawdawful disgusting sound that kinda reminded me of a buck grunt. Pretty soon 5 does come by and one is acting funny. Hard to describe how she was acting at first, just strange. Then all of a sudden her head starts tossing up and down and her sides start heaving then she starts puking right in front of me! Turns out she walked right under Big Country and he had spit out a big wad of beech nut which she found, sniffed for a minute and promptly swallowed! The sound I heard was her immediately yakking it back up. She heaved every few minutes till she was out of earshot. Left me wondering WTF? till we got in that night and big country told us how it all started.