Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[8|] Shooting from tree stands

Old 03-16-2004, 08:58 PM

Default [8|] Shooting from tree stands

If I'm in a stand thats 18ft high and I'm shooting at a deer thats 12 yrds out where do I aim. Will I shoot high or low by using my 20yrd pin. what is the formula???
Old 03-16-2004, 09:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: [8|] Shooting from tree stands

Bend at the waist and aim for where you want the arrow to exit
Old 03-17-2004, 02:56 AM

I used to remember the formula but stopped using it once I realized that it didn't make that much of a difference in distance. Your distance of 12 yards out becomes like 14 yards when you are 18 feet up.

So two factors would have you shoot high using your 20 yard pin: 1) the distance is inside 20 and 2) gravity is less on your arrow flight because you are shooting down.

Personally I would go the way Ausie-guy is thinking. Think more about where that arrow needs to go through or exit. I've shot many deer at 10-15 yards and 18 feet up in the tree and the entry is very, very high and the exit is very, very low.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:46 AM

what is the formula???
The formula is easy............and there is only one formula

Climb 20 ft + shoot a target thats 12 yds = exact known impact point

Old 03-17-2004, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

the formula is the pythagorean theorm from geometry, that said, it is useless for two reasons:

1) The distance differences are so small they don't matter in reality. The close distances the more the "math" tells you its different, however, put the 20 yd pin on and let it rip cause the impact difference "in a perfect world" is the same.

2) There's no such thing as "perfect world"

In order for the distance the math gives you to matter you ahve to have perfect
form, and perfect hold. You have to draw/anchor holding parallel to the ground, then bend at the waist keeping the anchor/bowarm/body alignement perfect, this doesn't happen, ever in reality.

Like said above, try it, see what it does for you. Most folks will hit a tad low and they blame it on the distance, its not, its form breakdown.

--Bob
Old 03-17-2004, 07:33 AM

Don't worry about that kind of stuff. What you need to do is practice from elevated stands if that is how you hunt. Set your pins dead on where you want the arrow to hit.
Old 03-17-2004, 12:15 PM

I agree, you need to practice from a stand, shoot for where you want the arrow to exit (which is low, when it comes out low you get better and shorter blood trails), and you will probably need to aim a little low with a 20 yd pin at 12 yards. Good advice from everybody
Old 03-17-2004, 12:19 PM

Buy a rangefinder, the distance with a laser is the same as the distance your arrow has to travel, thus you will never find a problem shooting from tree stands (assuming your form is not to blame). The only problem I have found is when you are measuring the distance from the base of your tree along the ground. Then I have found problems, but they are still minimal.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Ausie-guy

Bend at the waist and aim for where you want the arrow to exit
Old 03-17-2004, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

As far as i have read and been told, the distance that you should be using is the actual distance from the base of the tree to the deer. this relates to the distance the arrow is effected by gravity. so if you are 10' in the air and the deer is 10 yards from the base of your tree use the "10 yard" pin. to make this more drastic, say you are 100' in the air and the deer is 1 yard away from base of tree - the shot is 1yard.

that is how I understand it (and have read several times)

Quick Reply: [8|] Shooting from tree stands

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.