Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[8|] Shooting from tree stands

Old 03-18-2004, 07:12 PM

Default RE: [8|] Shooting from tree stands

pinesap>sorry, like I already said in the message. Didn't realize you were already an experienced bow hunter; thought you were someone who got a bow and decided to hunt. I see alot of that lately. By the way, I've missed one deer, period, I've probabaly not shot 75% of the deer I could've. I gut shot the second deer I ever took felt horrible for the whole time it took to track and kill it, and since I'm alot more picky about my shots. I think I just owe the animal that much. Chris
Old 03-18-2004, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

well you must be the best bowhunter ever! since you seem to know everything, why do you visit the board??

this was a fair question that was generating good advice on a subject that any archer good benefit from (new or experienced). you would be suprised how may people think they need to be shooting the angle distance.

it's a theory all bowhunters should know (even if it doesn't effect most shots.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:59 PM
Typical Buck

DoughBoy is right on. You use the distance from the base of the tree to the deer. Some archers think you use the distance the arrow travels (hypotenuse) and they are incorrect even though it seems logical.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:16 PM

you would be suprised how may people think they need to be shooting the angle distance
ME!

Some archers think you use the distance the arrow travels (hypotenuse) and they are incorrect even though it seems logical
Me again and its quite logical - I rangefind from the tree - aim- shoot - and the arrow goes where it should

I always range from the tree - what a pain it would be to range 20 trees from the ground then have to remember them all[:'(]

Range from the tree - I don't think you will find one bit of difference
Old 03-19-2004, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rack, Pinesap.......

sorry for posting this here.... but I tried sending you guys reply messages....back....did you get them?????? Its not showing up in my "sent" mail....

I did get your messages.... thanks.... Let me know....

Shed
Old 03-19-2004, 11:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know for sure you need to aim low because I have quite a nice collection of hair shaved off their back due to not bending at the waist. Just practice from the tree and dont worry about the difference. Nothing is worse than just missing high or buzzing the top of their backs.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:11 AM

best formula i found was practice, practice, practice...
Old 03-20-2004, 11:35 AM

(best formula i found was practice, practice, practice..rhett02 ) I can assure you that I will. I want to get to the bottom of this. I just sold my bow and I'm waiting to pick up my new outback. I never heard of bending at the waist. Well I can't say I do or don't, probably I don't. The 2 real close shots were under- low, but I missed one out to 17- 18 yrds that was over. this was the late season and it was very cold not to make any excuses but I had lots more clothes on. What has really got me , is that I made a really nice shot on a doe the 1st week. Well when I get my new bow I will set up a little range from 20yrds down to right under my tree. Then I will see what is going on. We have practiced before in tree but this time I will really take note of my shooting form, and I will practice, practice, practice...
THANKS guys for all the input- it's the little things you learn that make you better........
Old 03-20-2004, 04:04 PM

Opti-logic makes a rangefinder that compensates for angle. I plan on getting one for the upcoming deer season. They make them in 120, 400, and 600 yds and run about the same price as Bushnell. I think they also make the Pentax line of rfs.