Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Release hanging up!

Old 03-16-2004, 11:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Release hanging up!

I got within 5ft. of the target and focused on just squeezing the trigger
I am going to go against the grain here

You should not be squeezing the trigger. What you should be doing is hooking the trigger in the second knuckle as Doug has said previously but instead of squeezing your finger use your back muscles to fire the trigger.

But for mine if a release hangs up then its trashed and out comes the back up release.

As we all know we should carry more than 1 release whether its hunting or 3d.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Art , what he described is target panic to a T!
No. It isn't. My definition of target panic isn't quite as broad as yours.

The curved jaw of the release was "catching" the loop and not letting go when I pulled the trigger.
THAT describes a malfunctioning release.

When it would finally let go, the arrow would fly in an unknown direction because I would freak out because I am at full draw and I just pulled the trigger but the arrow is still pulled back.
THAT - to a T - describes how you develop target panic by using a malfunctioning release.

LAHUNTER, fix or replace the release before you shoot another arrow. I recommend Aussie Guys method of shooting one.

I wonder how many deers' lives have been saved by dirty, frozen, mucked up, worn out or just flat screwed up releases.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

No. It isn't. My definition of target panic isn't quite as broad as yours.
Fair enough! I should rephrase that. It describes a form of target panic associated with using a trigger release.

I wouldn't of gone out on a limb like I did if his exact scenario didn't describe exactly what I went thru a few years ago. I would start to squeeze the trigger and there was enough slop in the trigger to make me think "what the hells going on" and I'd panic and stick an arrow in no- mans land.

Maybe I'm just on a lucky streak but I haven't ever had a caliper style release malfunction since I started using them many moons ago.
Now that old Lewis & Lewis Pro Injector was a different story.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

My Mongoose was not releaseing for me a couple of years ago, but at the time I was using one of those metal loops. As soon as I got rid of the metal loop, which before I did that I used some emry cloth to smooth the jaws of the mongoose and lubed the pivot point, but none of that helped. I went to a string loop and haven't had it catch since then. Bottom line is, my problem had nothing to do with targic panic, although for a while when I was still using the metal loop, I was closing in on some sort of "panic" every time I shot my bow. Lost a lot of confidence for a while. Make sure that there's not a small dent on the calipers of your release that might be "catching" your loop!