Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why or why not?

Old 03-12-2004, 08:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Why or why not?

think the deciding factor for me is this bow has a draw length of 30" and I use a quick release. I found out my draw length is right at 27". I shot some BowTech Liberty's and PSE's and others at 27" with my quick release and it feels so much better. I believe 2004 is the year of the new bow!
Without even looking at the rest of your responses, that comment I quoted above is enough reason to get a new bow. It sounds like you are overdrawn on your bow by 3 inches!!

Yes, I would say that overdraws are outdated. They were basically used so folks could shoot lighter, stiffer arrows out of high poundage bows to gain speed. Nowadays you have more efficient bow designs which create faster arrow speeds. Plus, many folks are shooting full length carbons instead of overdrawn aluminums. This helps with forgiveness and therefore increases accuracy in most cases.

I do not think you would have any problem shooting that same 260 fps with a 27 inch draw length and a 56# draw weight on a new bow if you are willing to play with your arrow weight a bit. I would still probably keep it in the "mid weight" range for your draw weight though as you do not want to give up too much KE or momentum.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:24 AM
nub

Been a while since I've seen a point blank. What is the draw length range? Can it be adjusted down? R U sure your 3" over bowed right now? What method did they use to measure?
Old 03-12-2004, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

After 13 years shooting my last bow, I treated myself to a new Razortec last year and will never go back. I wasn't getting the kind of accuracy you are though out of my old bow. With my new bow, the accuracy is there and at 27" draw, I'm getting 260fps at 70lbs and mid-weight arrows.
Old 03-12-2004, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

Farm Country - I'm assuming your 10yr old Point Blank is the "New Wave". If so, don't expect to find a new bow that is much faster than that one with similiar weight arrows. I'm in the same boat right now .... I'm shooting a 12yr old Proline Point Blank "New Wave" and I haven't found a new bow that will beat it for speed yet. I haven't tried the BowTech Extreme or Patriot VFT's yet (with IBO's of 340 and 320), but anything with an IBO speed of 310 or less is either the same speed or slower than that old Point Blank! They are hard to beat.

Now, I will freely admit that these new bows have solid walls, more letoff, much less mass weight, and are quieter. Just don't be surprised if the speed isn't better than what you are getting now! This will be especially true if you are really dropping 3" off your draw length.

I've got a few more to test before I make a decision. Right now the Hoyt XTec is the only one that has made me say "WOW" when I shot it (have tried Hoyt UltraMag and XTec, AR34, PSE Scorpion, Buckmasters G2XL and will probably test some BowTech's shortly).

Ten years is long enough with that old bow ... it's time to put 'er out to pasture and move on. You can always keep it as a backup, since 10yr old bows aren't worth anything anyway. Good luck with your search .... Shockwave
Old 03-12-2004, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

My last bow was a Browning Nomad Deluxe II. Probably had it for over 20 years. Slow as ketchup (not my first choice of words, but this is a family forum) but I shot it well. I put it down for 12 years after missing a "gimme" shot on a doe plus getting busy with work and family. A couple of years ago, I picked it up again, shot well with it again, but started looking around. I had never even heard of Mathews until I poked my head into a local pro shop about 2 years ago. Last year I decided to take the plunge, and I cant believe how far bow technology has come. Needless to say, I retired my old Browning and am now shooting an '03 BowTech Extreme VFT. Treat yourself, you won't regret it. Keep your old bow as a backup, but don't expect to want to shoot it after you pick up one of the state of the art bows available today.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Go shoot a few and see what they feel like. Watch out around here, some of these guys change bows more often than Dave changes his blue long johns.
I'm not sure he changes those!!

farmcntry- I've always been a proponent of if it aint broke then don't try and fix it. I've had this debate in my head for the past 5 years. I always fall back on my old Alpine. I've shot the new Hoyt's, Matthews, High Countrys' etc....... Heck if I can consistently put it where I want at 30 yards and I'm killing deer with it every year........... why mess with it? Unless of course you want a new toy than that's reason enough as long as you don't give up the accuracy.