Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Going to Africa!!!!

Old 02-29-2004, 08:59 AM

Default Going to Africa!!!!

I can't believe it!!! I'm going hunting on the dark continent in May....I have heard that African critters are alot tougher than their American cousins.

I am shooting a Martin single cam set at 65lbs with 27 inches of draw. I am shooting carbon arrows with 75 grain mechanical broadheads. I have had really good luck with these. Pass throughs on every white tail I have shot ...huge holes and blood trails.

Will this be enough arrow and broadhead in Africa??? I am hunting kudu, impala and blesbok...Any suggestions would help a ton.

Thanks
Old 02-29-2004, 09:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Going to Africa!!!!

Kman, You might want to check out the Africa forum over at the bowsite.

They have alot of restrictions on arrow weight and pondage depending on what your going to be hunting.Goverment restrictions not outfitters.

http://www.bowsite.com/biggame/section.cfm?gameid=18
Old 02-29-2004, 09:12 AM

Kman, good for you. I hope you have a wonderful trip and share all your stories and some photos when you return.
You state you are using Mechanical broadheads. I've never hunted there but have read in several different places that "cut on contact" heads are recommended. Like Charlies P suggested you may want to check with the other forum.
Either way, have a great trip and take a lot of photos and notes.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Kman, you might find this thread interesting.

http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/tf/th...68&MESSAGES=64
Old 02-29-2004, 02:42 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations kman and get ready for the hunt of a lifetime. I was there a few years ago and will definately be going back. I would recommend leaving the mechanical heads at home. They would work fine on the blesbok and impala but not the kudu. Kudu are big and extremely tough. You hit bone and the 75 gr mech head may not be up to the task. There are a lot of guides in Africa that won't let you use mechanical heads, check with your guide but I would guess he will try to steer you away from them, especially if you are interested in some of the larger game like kude, gemsbok, etc.
Old 02-29-2004, 05:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Right on. I know you must be looking forward to that alot. I'd go with articles, make fun calls, on here, anything you can do to get an idea. Be sure to take lots of pictures and good luck to you
Old 02-29-2004, 07:39 PM

Thanks for all the help. I picked up a package of WASP 125 gr 3 blade BH's today. I also looked at the African bow hunt site....I had no idea how stupid I was about hunting Africa until I started reading those posts.

I think Dorthy said it best..."Toto I don't think we are in Kansas white tail hunting anymore"
Old 02-29-2004, 08:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Kman sound's like a trip of a life time so enjoy it and yes get lot's of pic's for us guy's and gal's back here to drool over bud

good luck and play safe

nubo
Old 03-01-2004, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

A pakage of broadheads? If you are going for three animals I would bring a set of a dozen broadheads and arrows just to be safe. Also bring an extra string or bow just in case. O yeah and have a blast!!! I am going to go to Africa sometime in my lifetime.
Old 03-01-2004, 03:09 PM

Good luck and have fun

Quick Reply: Going to Africa!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.