Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Treestand backaches...let's pool our ideas.

Old 02-26-2004, 08:49 PM

Default Treestand backaches...let's pool our ideas.

I am among the millions of us who has some serious back issues, to the point where it drives me home time and time again, long before my passion does. Over the past few days I have been trying to come up with some ideas on how to help remedy that problem, and would like anything that some of you may use currently, or maybe it's just an idea I/we could try.

I was thinking about a board at a 90 from the tree a 6" or so, then have that angle back towards my head at a 45...maybe screwing on some straps to sturdy it up? What do ya think?

Are there any treestands in particular that ya'll have found to be extremely supportive?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Treestand backaches...let's pool our ideas.

i was gunna say a padded back cushion tied 2 the tree. if u made it tall enough it would also work standing up
Old 02-27-2004, 06:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Some one on here suggested several lower back excerises to me once, forgot who it was.
Besides those I've found a camo cushion between my lower back and the tree helps.
Being able to sit sometimes and stand others is a help for me. In the old days where I just stood there for hours, it was near torture.
Old 02-27-2004, 06:34 AM
Typical Buck

rookelkhunter,

I recently got rid of a Tree Lounge because I like to be more mobile in the woods than that thing was prone to be. It's heavier and not as quiet to set up as alot of other stands, but I've spent many 12, 13 and 14 hour days in that thing. You recline in it like a Lazy Boy and I've never experienced aches or pains while on stand with it. If tree stand comfort is a priority for you, you may want to give it a look.

Fritz
Old 02-27-2004, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

SUMMIT VIPER XLS--4 out of 5 chiropractors recommend it[8D]
Old 02-27-2004, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have any real back problems, so I can't really understand fully what does or does not affect your pain.
However I've found that with any treestand, a sling seat is the most comfortable for me, whether I sit for 1 hour or all day. Not sure if that helps you much on your quest. Good luck with your back
Old 02-27-2004, 09:18 AM

Picking a stand with a higher seat height may help. I've got a couple of stands and I've found the higher the seat the more likely I am to have good posture and less back pain. Stands with shorter seat heights tend to make me slouch and my low back will develope pain. I don't normally have back problems but have observed this in the field.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

The best remedy is strong abs. The stronger your abs the more support your torso has and the less pressure going to your back. Slow steady crunches using a fitball will do wonders. Also lower back excercises. Check with a local physical therapy dept. and they should be able to give you illustrations and advice on excercises. This saved my bow season last year after a back injury in late summer.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:13 AM
Typical Buck

The majority of back aches are cause by overextension of the back muscles. The easiest way for the back to overextend itself is to provide support where the stomach muscles play a role. For instance instead of sitting up in bed to get out (using your abdominals) you roll on your side and stomach to slide out of bed and stand up using your back muscles to straighten your back. Your abdominals and your back extensors work as a team. Without your back muscles you could not straighten at the back. You would bend over and stay bent over. Must of us slump in the car seat, couch, recliner, chair at work or whenever we are upright. If most of us went and ran 2 miles at a hard pace our lungs and legs would bark at us telling us to quit. When your back has no option of slumping and is forced to sit upright for a long period of time it complains. Back extensions will strengthen the lower back and get it into shape. But, as you strengthen your back you must also work its partner the abdominals. Leg lifts will be the opposite of back extensions. I do believe the best way to avoid your back ache is to catch yourself slumping and straighen up. Tell your wife or friends of your goal and have them catch you as well. you won't believe how much of your day you are sitting lazy. Make the change today and enjoy a more comfortable "stand sit" this year.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:44 AM

Thanks to all, I appreciate your feedback.

I probably should have been a tad more specific about myself. I am 32 and (I know this sounds a little ignorant given the following) very healthy with the exception of chronic back pain that has plagued me since a car accident in grad school. I've had three back surgeries and been in therapy on and off for all of those 7 years. I am still walking (in and out of water) everyday and have continued to do ball and ab work throughout. I am also on the cusp of having a pace maker (called 'Stimulator', but very much like a pace maker) 'installed' in a few weeks after a semi-successful week long trial. All of your theories on abdominal strength are dead-on accurate, and I hope someone reading this thread can benefit from that advice, as it can/could be a life changer.

I suppose I am looking to acquire ideas on quality treestands with good back support, or possibly some 'backyard' type ideas I could make in the woodshop that may offer a solid, angled back support separate from a standard stand.

Again, I appreciate all of your comments and ideas.

Quick Reply: Treestand backaches...let's pool our ideas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.