Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Effects of weightlifting

Old 02-25-2004, 12:29 PM

Default Effects of weightlifting

I'm getting back into weight lifting after moving to a place that allows me to get my weights out of storage. I am guessing that as I get stronger, my accuracy will drop and I'll have to keep jackin with my bow setup. Has anyone else had any experience with this?

Darren
Old 02-25-2004, 12:34 PM

Default RE: Effects of weightlifting

Archery was the demise of any serious weightlifting I did !!

I would get too fatigued from weight lifting to get any consistant groups ! I started lighting up on the weights.....then before long.....no weightlifting at all [&o] !!

But I got better at archery !!
Old 02-25-2004, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

So your saying the more your lift the worse your archery skills are? I better quit going to the gym every day them!
Old 02-25-2004, 01:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't have any weights but i use ghetto style ones like filling up empty milk gallon jugs full of water. I am also do some push ups now and then. Haven't done much of either because no money for arrows [:'(]
Old 02-25-2004, 01:03 PM

I work out six days a week. I lift upper body on the 3rd than sixth day. The other days I do cardio, balance and lower body.
Now Im 55 years of age and Im not into body building or what I'd call heavy weights.
Most of the things like 3 X10@40 for hammer curls and two handed tricep ext with 50# and dumbell bench 3x10@55. just to give you an idea. I do a lot of other lifting but with the dumbells that's the weight range. Barbells 80# lat rolls and 60 BB curls.
I do not do heavy benching or heavy squats or the like.
I do not shoot my bow the days I lift but have seen no adverse effect the day following upper body lifts.
I looked long and hard to find anything on weight lifting and shooting a bow and finally did find one article on what the USA Olympic trianer used for the American archerys and made that part of my work out.

I take it you two fellows are into some heavy lifting?
Old 02-25-2004, 01:05 PM
Fork Horn

I don't believe that lifting weights causes a decrease in your accuracy. One of the best shooters in Virginia and amatuer shooters in the US belongs to a gym. Being physically fit is beneficial to your archery. I lift weights, and I believe it helps my shooting ability. As long as you don't try to shoot after you just lifted, you should be fine.
Old 02-25-2004, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't do heavy lifting. But I had reconstructive shoulder surgery a year and half ago at age 17, so I'm just trying to get it back to where it was before. I'm also wanting to increase the poundage I pull. I started off when I got released shooting 58 then jumped up to 65 last season. I'm hoping to be able to a max it out this year and shoot 70.
Old 02-25-2004, 01:24 PM

I lift pretty heavy 5-6 days a week. As much weight as I can just barely finish sets of 5 on all power exercises. Other exercises I will do sets of 8-10.

Been lifting like that since 1990 so probably not gonna stop any time soon. I wouldn't want to shoot or pretty much do anything requiring fine motor skills right after I am done at the gym but I don't see why being fit and strong is gonna hurt you. Maybe if you got as big as Dorian Yates or something but then you have trouble just walking correctly.

When the snow starts melting (soon I hope) I finish my shoulder days with grabbing a single grip on the Universal row seat and draw it like a bow..........made a big difference last year in how long I could shoot and how much weight I could draw comfortably.
Old 02-25-2004, 01:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

I lift pretty heavy, but only 2-3 days a week. I would not attempt to shoot a bow the days I do upper body. Not even sure if I physically could after an intense workout.
Shooting on your off days, you should see no hinderance in lifting weights.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:15 PM

That's not what I said. I was asking IF my accuracy would decrease, ...not that it was.

Based on my experience, any little thing can effect your accuracy. For example, changing from aluminum to carbons, changing your rest, putting on new strings, changing from feathers to vanes, etc., etc. Based on this, it makes sense that increasing ones strength would result in a change in arrow placement, hence, the need to adjust your bow.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like the answer is to continue shooting in the "off" days so that I will adjust. This means I need to practice shooting more than I have been.

Darren

ORIGINAL: titleist_03

So your saying the more your lift the worse your archery skills are? I better quit going to the gym every day them!

Quick Reply: Effects of weightlifting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.