Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Favorite" BS in a magazine/video?

Old 02-21-2004, 01:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default "Favorite" BS in a magazine/video?

Just wondering how many people get riled up over some of the stupid crap they read or see from the "experts". I'll give a couple:

1) Statements of this form, "Big bucks (or big bulls) only travel with the wind at their nose. HUH? How can that be? Are there two outfitters, maybe right this minute, standing over a big bucks carcass, one's saying to the other, "Durn it, we lost another big boy. Let me see, yup, he died of thirst." The other goes, "It's just the darndest thing, we been trackin' this ol' boy for 4 miles, and you could see way back there he was TRYING to go to water. But the danged wind just wouldn't cooperate, ever' time he got close it'd switch on him! Just plain bad luck."

2) Just heard this one again from the guy behind the counter at the local sporting goods store, hadn't read it for a while, but it goes like this, "You want a loud elk bugle, like a PowerBugle, for a LOCATER call." Can someone explain that one to me? You locate a bull by bugling, then hearing his reply. How does BLOWING a louder bugle let you HEAR bulls from further away?

I'd love to hear some more stuff you all have heard or read. (Note: this is just for fun, I'm sure at some point I've uttered something silly, and I'm not even an expert.)
Old 02-21-2004, 01:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: "Favorite" BS in a magazine/video?

"Perfect shot" as you watch the arrow or bullet obviously hit back of where they wanted.

When I get asked if I can feel the "spirit" as the host shoots an animal that has been pen rasied.
Old 02-21-2004, 01:59 PM
Typical Buck

Amen to that!
Old 02-21-2004, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dirt2
The loud bugle is so the elk can hear you. This is helpful when you are on top of a mountain before daylight and the wind is blowing.
When I bow hunt I try to put myself on top of a mountain 1-1/2 to 2-hours before daylight just so I can listen to them bugle.
Old 02-21-2004, 02:19 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the reply, but still, how does the loud bugle help? If a normal human can hear an elk from 1/2 mile, then surely a normal elk can hear even a soft bugle from at least a mile. So why the loud bugle? So what if that lets bulls hear you from over a mile? How many elk have you called in from over a mile away? Since you obviously can't hear it from that range, you're going to have moved on by the time the one elk in a million that will actually come from a mile away ever gets to where you called from. Right?
Old 02-21-2004, 02:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

The loud bugle will sometimes get an otherwise silent elk to bugle back as he may think you are a lot closer to him and his cows than you actually are. That may just give you a chance at him that you might not have had if you hadn't pissed him off enough to bugle back at you.

It's not so you can get him to come to you but so you know where he is and you can plan to get close to him. He doesn't care if you are a half a mile or more away. He will usually just go about his business if he is content. But the hunter isn't content in letting him just sit there.

If they are not content you would be surprised at how far they will come to you. If they think they are bigger than you and that you may have some cows that he could take from you he may come in from a lot farther and a lot faster than you think they would. I have been surprised more than once.
Old 02-21-2004, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I see your point. I just use it to locate bulls. I guess I could be a victim of marketing b.s.[&:]
Old 02-21-2004, 04:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Dirt2

Just wondering how many people get riled up over some of the stupid crap they read or see from the "experts".
"ScentLock suits serve a purpose..........and can be "recharged" in a dryer" LOL

You NEED to carry a cough silencer.

The Deer view mirror is a good investment.

"Thank god for my (insert sponsors product name) or we would have never got that buck"

Guys that wear camo in a shooting house/blind and whisper to each other so the 15 monster bucks that are 300 yards away don't get spooked LOL

Guys that preach the wonderful values of calls and then fail to point out is isn't appropriate in EVERY situation under the sun...........then every boob and his brother is out in the woods making a CONSTANT racket with his "bag of tricks" for 7 hours straight..........as if that's natural.

Where you run into trouble is when guys read these stories in mags or see them on video and then try and apply those same principles at the local state forest where there are no fences.............or 180 class bucks for that matter LOL.........when they don't have similar success or take a wall hanger they feel less enjoyment. If they would have gone into the woods with a more realistic outlook they would not start their stories to other hunters with the words "It's just a doe" or "I know he's not very big......but" I hate to see enjoy their harvest less because they apply unrealistic, or someone elses standards.

I like bow mags.............it's the gimmicks that pay the bills for them that get a little icky.
Old 02-21-2004, 04:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Guys that wear camo in a shooting house/blind and whisper to each other so the 15 monster bucks that are 300 yards away don't get spooked LOL
How about the guys that still whisper after they just cracked off a shot with their 300 RUM at one of those 15 monster bucks. I never got that one.

"Forget the wind, just hunt", Sure what ever you say.

"Just screw on the ________ broadhead and hunt. No tuning needed"
Old 02-21-2004, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love when on these TV shows they arrow a Buck; hit it too far back; then the camera films the deer as it runs 150, 200 yards and disappears completely from sight. Then the camera slowly pans back to ole sure shot who points (as if he still sees it) and says, "He's Down!" "He's Down." Yeah right, what are you tracking it on radar? Blessed with X-ray vision? Using poison arrows?

Bad hits happen. Admit it and use it as an opportunity to teach people what to do in that situation. Don't lie to me when I know that (A.) The hit was bad and there's no way a gut shot deer died that fast and (B.) I know darn well it had already passed well out of your line of sight. You did not see him go down.

Quick Reply: "Favorite" BS in a magazine/video?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.