Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Check in requirements?

Old 02-21-2004, 06:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Check in requirements?

What is required to check in a deer in your state? I know in Maryland you have to drag it to the check in station and some want to weigh it. In Virginia you are suppose to (or use to) have to take it there but since they don't want to weigh it I stopped doing it and just showed up with out the deer. In North Carolina they made it simple. You just call 1-800-I got one.
Old 02-21-2004, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Check in requirements?

in illinios there are different check in stations for archery and gun seasons your required to take the deer there and they tag it during gun seasons they sometimes take more info ie;attempt to age deer ,location of kill, a couple of years ago the were collecting females reproductive organs to test , seems like they come up with something different every year
Old 02-21-2004, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

In VA and WV you are supposed to tag it in the field before moving it (I always thought that was a stupid rule---small paper tags, and I know more than a few that have lost them), then take it to a game checking station to be checked in. That's it. Most places do not weigh them, it is not required. Most places in WV that I go to, you even have to fill out your own tag, LOL.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:29 AM

In Wisconsin you tag the animal in the field with a non-tearable tag. Then you must take it to a registration station. They cut off your tag and replace it with a metal band tag. This tag must then be kept with the meat until consumed. If you take your tropht in for a mount the metal tag must accompany it. However, I have not seen it enforced a whole lot. I see it more if someone is suspected of poaching. If they do not possess the metal tag, they are busted.
Old 02-21-2004, 08:03 AM

In Mississippi you do nothing, no tags and no check in stations
Old 02-21-2004, 08:45 AM
Spike

Fieldmouse,
Ohio requires you to tag the deer where if fell, transport it to a deer checking station (there's several in each county), the check station removes your tag and replaces it with a DNR metal tag.

After that you may do with it as you please, unless you're having it mounted, then the taxidermist will need to see the metal tag. Also, at a meat processor, they want to see the paper work for the deer....as to whether it's a road kill (issued by any law enforcement officer) or has the metal DNR tag that shows it's a hunting harvest.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe in Michigan you have the option of checking the deer in or not. I've heard of guys taking deer to be processed or to a taxidermist that were taken in Michigan and had to show the deer tag that they had purchased, ONLY. This is a "loop hole", in my opinion, that would allow you to shoot a deer in any state and get it processed or mounted in Ohio....not that that's a bad thing.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57
Old 02-21-2004, 08:47 AM

Here in Idaho, the deer must be tagged when it is downed immediately, never have seen any check stations during the fall archery season. But F/G do set up random check stations along the busy highways in certain areas during the rifle season...Also have to fill out a hunters report on big game and send it into F/G, or fill it out on line, over the internet...
Old 02-21-2004, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

in NY we have to tag the animal and then report it at a later date (like within 2 weeks) We used to have to send the report via mail, now we can simply call it in (or do it online, I think)
Old 02-21-2004, 09:05 AM

In Kentucky you call it in. At least on private property not sure about public land.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

In PA.,you're supposed to send in a deer harvest card to the PGC-same with turkey.The only game that has to be taken to a check station is bear.

Quick Reply: Check in requirements?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.