Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Check in requirements?

Old 02-21-2004, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Check in requirements?

Montana requires you to tag the animal in the field where it fell. You then take it to a check station unless you drop it off at a meat processer before you drive by a check station.
You must stop at a check station everytime you drive by one, if you have been hunting or fishing.
Old 02-21-2004, 02:14 PM
Typical Buck

Assuming there is a check station in your route. Then, we here in MT get a call about this time of year from the survey people. These people call when I'm not home, then leave about a 2 minute phone message explaining who they are, what they are trying to do, and how important the info is, then THEY DON'T GIVE A PHONE NUMBER TO CALL BACK! Really sorry for shouting but it drives me crazy. I would love to help them, I agree it is important info, but why leave the long message and then no call-back number? They've done it twice already this year, and did the same thing two years ago. Smells like government to me.
Old 02-21-2004, 03:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Gee... you're suppose to check them?

Yup, Maryland is take it to the check in station within 24 hours.

doughboysigep In NY it's not "report it later like in a couple weeks". It's report it later like in 48 hours or something like that. A bear is 24.
Old 02-21-2004, 03:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

In New Jersey you must tag it where it falls, then take it to the nearest check station where they will fasten a metal tag to be kept till all the meat is consummed . If you are entitled to another tag (Doe)one will be issued to you. If you cannot make the check station by closing there are numbers you can call and report the kill. Then the next day it must be taken to get checked in.
Old 02-21-2004, 10:45 PM

In Oklahoma you must affix a your tag(or a piece of paper with your name and license # if its a lifetime)in the field, then report to the nearest check station and weigh it. Without the carcass tag, you cant get a deer processed unless you do it yourself.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:01 AM

ORIGINAL: DoeCuller

In Kentucky you call it in. At least on private property not sure about public land.
Yeah, public land also. We have to fill out our permit before we move the carcass
Old 02-22-2004, 12:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

In TX you tag in the field.
If you take it to a processor they take the details if you butcher yourself you dont have to call it in
Old 02-22-2004, 06:39 AM
Dominant Buck

Hey, doesn't calling it in make so much more sense? I was in Va hunting years ago ang didn't get out of the woods until late. I tagged the deer but of course every place was closed and I had to get home to another state. I called DNR the next day to find out what I should do and caught nothing but hell from him. What an A-hole he was. I wasn't even illegal since you have 24hours to check it in. I took it back over to Va but a different county to check it in so that I wouldn't tick him off. Next time I won't bother if that comes up again. The only reason I bothered was because I used one of my tags from my liscense. If I got checked later you need a good reason on why it would be missing without a check deer.

This past year I needed to check in a buck in Md on News Years Eve. Do you know how hard that was to find an open station? I would have given up except I was going home where hunting season had already closed.

If you get the chance to support legislation, calling in the kill is the best way. It would also get more accurate records because I'm sure they miss a lot of kills from people who are fed up with trying to do it legally.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm sure they miss a lot of kills from people who are fed up with trying to do it legally.
Fieldmouse, you are probably right. I've had this happen to me before when hunting in WV and coming home to VA the same day. There are only 3 places to check in deer where I hunt in WV...1 is the DNR office, 1 is the gun store, and one is a country store. The DNR office and gun store close before it gets dark...and the country store is open until like 9:00. It can be frustrating and I'm sure alot don't get checked in.
Old 02-22-2004, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

none - unless your on game managment land then you check um at the gate .

Quick Reply: Check in requirements?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.